Do you love WarioWare? And do you love PICO-8? What we if we combine them into one game that you can play in your browser, right now?
Say hello to PICOWARE!
Over 50+ developers made 68 microgames during the 24 hour PICOWARE gamejam starting on July 27th 2019, with the intention of combining them together into one bigger game, called PICOWARE!
It's there! Up above! This is the game! The game all the cool kids play! Don't you want to join them? Do you want to stick out? Of course not!
Fancy a fancy link? Here!
Use Twitter? Here's the official tweet-tweet!
Use PICO-8? I— I hope you do. Just say the magic word:
Want to play offline? Download all the carts below:
then load the main cart as you normally would:
Here are all creators of the PICOWARE minigames, in no particular order:
- Pico-Race, made by @random_disconnect
- Sleepers Sheepers, made by Jpecina and TyPhyter
- Barbershop Sim, made by @demonicx + @setff
- Wake-up Call, made by GreenCheekGames
- Pick a Good One!, made by @Leo9
- Get Through the Day, made by LuBu
- Stay Dry, made by Javier Rizzo
- Slam Dunk, made by @v360dev
- Pet the Puppos, made by dekent.itch.io
- Shine the Spotlight, made by JWinslow23
- Catch All the Stars, made by @picoter8
- Save Helpi from Bosso, made by @thattomhall
- Beam Up Jelpi, made by joll05
- Abduct the Cows, made by @mauszozo
- Avoid the Flying Jelpis, made by @picoter8
- Shoot the Spaceship, made by Javier Rizzo
- Survive the Zombie Jelpis, made by @picoter8
- Existence, made by @RhizomaticWarmachine
- Spaceship Landing, made by Jesus Gonzalez
- Alien Rescue, made by @sam_c_lee
- They Live, made by @RhizomaticWarmachine
- Jumpship!, made by @bellicapax
- Super Jelpi, made by Eos Wander
- Crush in a Jam, made by knh190
- Wigglebee, made by @katbuilt and @acreature
- Oh Nose! More Bees!, made by @Jusiv_
- Obligatory Bee Game, made by @RhizomaticWarmachine
- Beware of Flower Pots, made by Insane Scatterbrain
- Humble Bumble, made by MasterNyborg and Buzby
- Sheer the Sheep, made by @ctinney94
- Save Sugar Cube!, made by cpiod
- Dizzy Fly, made by My Roe Ate
- Combo Bounce, made by @DoubleATam
- Home for a Hermit Crab, made by @josephmarksjr
- Help Jelpi Vent!, made by Jamie
- Climb the Tree, made by JustFire45
- Ruin the Party, made by @peepeenanah
- Sushi Scramble, made by @Robotinker
- Drop the Mint, made by Dooma4
- Perfect Beer, made by Dooma4
- Get the Balloon!, made by Stephmo
- Spotlight Landing, made by @svntax
- Target Practice, made by @FuwanekoGames
- Pop the Balloon, made by fwip
- Paper Airplane, made by @RhizomaticWarmachine
- Frequency Check, made by dberzins
- Bubble Fishy, made by qst0
- Scratch the Advertising!, made by OniriCorpe
- Publish or Perish, made by Kirais
- Sort Out the Beans, made by @yeff
- Find the Backwards Word, made by @nephilim
- Lantern Lights, made by capucat
- Get the Shape!, made by @reecegames1
- Fill the Buckets, made by fwip
- Jelpi Counter, made by @sam_c_lee
- Ninja Sort, made by Cupcake<3 (Paul Wandley)
- Jelpuzzle, made by @vrnspr
- Pour the Tea into the Cup, made by JWinslow23
- Walk on Ice, made by knh190
- Jelpi Lander, made by Jamie
- Slide to the Goal Tile, made by Numzyx
- Fuzero, made by @planeteightgames
- Supportive Chatroom, made by @noscoperadio
- Jelpocracy, made by GooGroker
- Tetrominoes in the Night, made by @alce_x and Lin Han
- Get the Cherry, made by Akumarai
- Catch the Bar!, made by cpiod
- Don't Drown, made by @pixelsixnet
…and the people without whom making the final game wouldn't be possible:
- knh190 @knh1901
- ReeceGames @reecegames1
- Gruber @gruber_music
- Tom Hall @thattomhall
- Maciej Szczerba (that's me) @TonicMaciej
Notice any bugs? Your Jelpi's not working! Help us make PICOWARE the best it can be and post feedback using any method you want!
Thanks everyone for all the nice words and the support! <3
@Guard13007 I was so busy combining the submissions I've only now just noticed your help offer… but thanks a lot! :)
@erikwii This is a known bug, and it seems there is currently no fix for it :( Will mention it in the original post, but you can try refreshing or using another browser — this seems like a quite common, but very unreliable bug, and just takes some trying sometimes :)
@Skulhhead1924 This is not a bug, this is a beauty mark :D
Awesome combination of small games!
Completed the whole story mode.
Love the challenges that needed very short time to think and act :D.
Also, some were hard to finish, but it made me even more curious to try again and to finish them again, which I managed to finish them all :D.
Great job all! :D
Both issues (crash + the "communication error" bug) should be resolved now in 0.1.12d rc7. I bumped the .js filename, so it shouldn't require clearing the browser cache.
The inconsistent data storage was caused by cartridge execution not halting immediately after a LOAD("#..") called from inside a coroutine. So if there was code after the LOAD() call that altered data assuming a load failure (true in picoware's case), it would look like the next cart simply failed to load the correct cartdata values. To make things worse, this was also sensitive to how long it took the cart to load over the network. Fortunately I was able to reliably reproduce it while I was sitting in a cafe with super-slow wifi!
@dw817 That screenshot was a really handy clue for tracking down the crashing issue; the character codes for ヤゆとテ are 0xef 0xbe, 0xad, 0xde -- or as a uint32: 0xdeadbeef, which is my malloc's marker for free()'d memory.
Hey guys, just now found this and I gotta say you did an incredible job! I would love to make a game for it.
I wonder, is it possible to load a custom list of carts like it was in the original Picoware project? How does one make a Picoware cart?
@zep That's an amazing feat on your side. It's very lucky we got that screenshot too. It took so long but it's in 2019 now. Thank you so much for the fix! <3
@szczm_ I am glad the bug is finally fixed. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. This was my first jam and it was so fun. We should definitely do it again this year! By the way do you mind linking my twitter account (https://twitter.com/Kirais_Gamer) to the post? I made 49. Publish or Perish. Thanks!
@szczm_ I downloaded the cartridge file as a .p8.png. When I select any level in Pico-8 it ends the program, on the web version it shows the loading cartridge icon on the top left and works fine. I've tried reinstalling the cart and different ways of running it, but to no avail.
@szczm_ @relativokay Just to piggyback off of this, I get the same exact issue. I'm using the very latest version of Pico-8 the program and trying to go into story mode and I load the first game and it just kicks me back to a prompt simply saying ">" yet I'm clearly shown in the game still, and I can type "run" to reload the game. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the web version hosted on here, which is quite strange. Download Pico-8 from here and run it off of your computer, and you'll see what I mean, along with Relativokay.
Some time during this long hiatus, I realised/remembered what the problem is. It's related to how PICOWARE works: the minigames are contained in separate carts ("subcarts"), which are loaded from the BBS to get the most recent version. I added some support for offline play... however, for some reason (and I specifically remember there being some conundrum and considering different options) I ultimately haven't uploaded an offline version.
One of the caveats of implementing this is how to handle the subcart filenames — contrary to BBS carts, local carts need to be referred to with a proper version number. Seeing as PICOWARE is now in a stable state, and with a fresh perspective, this no longer poses a problem.
The second problem that resurfaced was where and how to host the carts, and how to make the access to them easy. I can safely assume that a user willing to play offline knows how to handle cart files, an assumption I haven't considered before. The carts are already hosted on the BBS, thus I just linked them up in the original post.
Lastly, there are some issues with how the error message about missing carts is displayed, so I rolled out my own solution.
This should fix your problems, however there's only one of me, and no amount of testing will beat your feedback, so I'm waiting forward to it :)
[Please log in to post a comment]