Page:

The 💾 PICO-8 Giveaway period has now ENDED.

What WAS it?

I decided I'd like to do a giveaway for FREE copy of PICO-8 💾

...then the following lovely people decided to match my donation! 😲

So we now have 53x Free copies of PICO-8 to giveaway! 🥳

If you would also like to ADD to the Donations (but please, ONLY if doing so will not put you in any financial difficultly), then please feel free to message me directly on Twitter!

Why are you doing this?

PICO-8 has been, without a doubt, one of the best purchasing decisions I've ever made. 😊
It's brought me countless hours of joy, creativity and (in some cases) career opportunities.

From time to time, I see someone that seems very keen to start experimenting with PICO-8, but they simply don't have the budget for the (very reasonable) $14.99 price tag. It makes me wonder what they might've created, if given the option.

Well, I'd like for someone to have that option. 🤓

How do I enter?

To enter - simply reply to this thread, saying (in 50 words, or less)

• Why you would like to win and, ideally...
  • What you would create with it (should you be lucky)?

What are the terms?

• Open to everyone, in all countries... NOW!
    • (but PLEASE, do not enter if you already own PICO-8, or can comfortably afford it)
  • Only one submission allowed, per person
    • (don't attempt to abuse this - just be nice to others!)
  • Closing deadline is this Saturday 6th July @ Midnight (GMT)
  • After closing, all qualifying entrants' usernames will be fed into an online random selector
  • I'll then ask the winners to contact me directly with their e-mail addresses, so that I can "gift" them each a copy of PICO-8.
  • The organiser's decision is final.

Any other questions (or anything I've not covered), please let me know.

GOOD LUCK! 😁🤞

P#65499 2019-07-01 17:09 ( Edited 2019-07-08 19:09)

I actually just discovered this whole project while looking into native gaming options for the Raspberry Pi (as in, NOT emulation, but games made for it). While this is not exactly what I'm looking for, it is as close as I am seeming to get to a proper gaming platform for the Pi. I quite enjoy the aesthetic of the games that I've previewed, and I'd love to own a copy of Pico-8 for the easy browsing of games and easy installation onto a Raspberry Pi 3.

As for creation, I'm not quite sure... I'm not a hugely creative type. However, something that comes to mind (if it hasn't been done yet) is to create a Minecraft-like top-down game within the limitations.

P#65501 2019-07-01 17:50

The first time I heard of pico8 I loved the idea of ​​a small and accessible virtual console where to express my ideas and being a gamer and artist I have many that I would like to try to bring to life, as an artist and lover of video games, I adore the retro aesthetic of pico8 and I would love to be able to make small simulation games like the first simcity, animal crossing, sims, dune etc.

P#65503 2019-07-01 18:52

I'd like to win because creating videogames has been a dream of mine almost since I started playing them. Two years ago I started a career on computer engineering with the objective of learning how to make them, but they don't teach us anything videogames related until the last year, and while I struggle with the other subjects, I don't have much time to learn on my own. But this seems like a pretty simple tool, and I'd love to at least try it out.

As for what I'd create, well... One of the ideas I wanna try out is a platformer with characters me and a few friends created, based on the RWBY web series (In fact, my pfp is a drawing of my character XD

P#65504 2019-07-01 18:56 ( Edited 2019-07-01 18:56)

I always wanted to get into video game developement. As a kid i spend hours making games with the RPG Maker and recently i was trying to get into more serious game development.

I have a couple of ideas for games i would make and since i love platformers and Metroidvanias, i would go in that direction with my games

P#65510 2019-07-01 20:08

Hi I've been interested in programming for a while now, about a year, but I've only messed with high level languages like JS and GML.
I think creating programs (and games) with PICO-8 would be a very different and interesting experience.

P#65511 2019-07-01 21:01

I've been a fan of videogames since I started playing pokemon yellow when I was 2, and I've been thinking about game ideas since then. If I win I’ll make my game ideas come true and share them with the community. I'm also planning to enter LowRezJam :D

P#65512 2019-07-01 21:31 ( Edited 2019-07-05 11:42)

Hello! I've always wanted PICO-8 because it is one cute powerful use of Lua, a language which I have unfortunately not used as much nowadays.

Just imagine all the fun stuff I could make under its limitations! Pixel art and low poly 3d in one little cart! It's awesome.

P#65513 2019-07-01 21:37

Why: PICO-8 seems like the perfect way for me to introduce my little brother to programming. he likes the idea but the bredth of just a language is scary too him so a cute little package like this could be perfect for me and him to play with together on my laptop until he gains enough confidence to pivot towards lua itself (says he'll end up using it for roblox or something idk)

What: personally i always like to do the weirdest thing i can with tools so probably some experimental little narrative things or something idk. ill be real i care way more about haveing something that looks unintimidating to get lew into code.

P#65515 2019-07-01 21:52

I Love gamejams They are my favorite thing about game development! I would make GameJam games on it! Also, Since I moved from GameMaker to Monogame, it is way harder to prototype. That’s a great use for Pico8! Buying it was never an option, because my parents just think that this concept is silly, and I should’t spend money on a toy.

P#65516 2019-07-01 21:57

Being a game developer in a 3rd world country is both hard and unrewarding in some way. My payday would barely kept me survive in a month and obviously that means cutting down on many expenses.

In all honesty it seems like I'll be robbing someone else if I'm joining in, but I do want a Pico-8 myself. As a game designer I've always fascinated on what people can create within Pico-8 so I've been watching tutorials and playing many Pico-8 games even though I didn't have one.

If I do win it, I might take it slow with making something and would explore the whole thing first, lots of Hello World would be made but I might end up learning something new with it.

P#65520 2019-07-02 02:01 ( Edited 2019-07-02 02:05)

I have been fascinated by what everyone can achieve by just using a pixel software and wanted to try my hand at it as i love experimenting with different artstyles.
I also grew up playing pixel games and wanted to feel some nostalgia and hopefully have the same effect on another person.

P#65521 2019-07-02 05:14

Hello, I'm 18 years old and I live in Brazil, my dream is to become a game developer and I see a great opportunity to learn with Pico-8, but I do not have the Right Now budget because of "things". In short, I love games, I want to develop games and with pico8 I think my programming / art / story skills will be much better. I would love to play, develop with this, so if I win, I will announce my first project on twitter.

Disclaimer; My first game will be a simple infinite runner, but do not expect too much haha.

P#65522 2019-07-02 06:03 ( Edited 2019-07-03 03:32)

PICO-8 have always interested me, I love the color palette and the limitations that has.
It's an inspiring challenge and definitely will make me improve my abilities as a game dev and pixel artist.
I'd like to create mini-games and with time, something bigger pushing all my capacities.

P#65523 2019-07-02 19:56

Well, Pico-8 is DRM-free, and I was doing stuff with... a barely legal copy of Pico-8 I got from a friend who got it for the SPLORE. If I got a copy, I would continue making great games like Mountains of Demise 2 (still the thing I'm most proud of)

P#65524 2019-07-02 20:18

I'd love to win because it sounds like an amazing piece of kit and I've always been interested in seeing what new ideas can be had with limited hardware. With other engines like Unity and Unreal i get overwhelmed with a blank canvas and a wealth of options. I also want to try writing music with it (I released a whole album written on nothing but a Nintendo DS a while ago)

I'd make fun games for everyone, i would focus on shooters or big collections of smaller minigames with a unique twist. i would definitely use it in game jams to see what i can come up with!

P#65525 2019-07-02 20:30

I would like to win a copy because I want to be a part of this community where anything is possible. I have seen many examples of creative pico8 games that peak my interest. I plan on trying the application and possibly create a 2D Zelda game.

P#65528 2019-07-03 00:28

I learned about PICO-8 thanks to this giveaway and this program instantly caught my eye. And when I found out what wonderful creations the community created, my enthusiasm grew even more. I've been looking for a similar program for a long time. I really like that there is everything you need to create games in one place. I immediately favored the carefully chosen limitations that give the impression that this was a real console that Nintendo could have created. At this point, I have a lot of ideas in my mind for a variety of games that I would love to bring to life. On PICO-8, I appreciate the fact that it is easy to make prototypes very quickly. I always wanted to create my own roguelike game. That would be my goal.

P#65534 2019-07-03 09:26

Well, I've always wanted to create games since I was a kid. I made some of them for fun back then, but I've never been able to turn it into a job. I have tried many careers in my adult life so far, but none of them have worked for me. Now I want to start over, and go back to doing something I've always liked. I believe PICO-8 will be a great tool to get started. I had a NES and a SNES as a child, and platform games have always been my favorites, and that's the kind of game I want to create now.

P#65545 2019-07-03 21:40

I'm a motion graphic designer and I start all of this "lovely doom" with Amiga and Deluxe Paint Animator IV... Then my heart is a bunch of pink pixels.
PICO-8 seems a great tool and I want to recreate my early and so pixelated creations with it :)

P#65546 2019-07-03 21:51

I'd love to win because I've always been interested in coding and game different game engines and how they work, and I have lots of ideas for games i would make and I really appreciate this contest as a way to potentially see them come to reality. If anybody would like to hear my ideas in greater detail I'd be happy to share with you :) Thanks so much.

P#65548 2019-07-03 22:48

wow! the first time I heard about fantasy consoles I was very impressed with this. Then, when I heard that PICO-8 was a pioneer, I was very interested in making games with it. But at a price that is quite expensive for me (I'm a student). I slightly discouraged me from trying it, hoping that someone would give it for free. And finally, you took the initiative to do that! I'm very happy. I hope I can be the one to get it. and if I get PICO-8 I will try to make my own tamagotchi!

P#65554 2019-07-04 13:29

Hi:)
I'm a guy that started his story with computers and game with Amiga 1200:) There was always plans to make some simple games taht will recreate that feel and fun when i was young. I have tried Unity but it didnt clicked with me, plus for such simple games it looks like a total overkill. PICO-8 looks and sounds great for me, plus i got experience with python so LUA should be fast and easy to catch up.

P#65559 2019-07-04 19:23

I saw your post on twitter through my friend caaz who is a pico-8 creator, he is always telling me how fun it is. I just don't have the budget for this, I would love to try it out through.

What I would create would be a fighting game as close to mortal kombat as I could get with limited sprite space, and design that around a web socket server so my friends and I could play online together.

Thanks for the chance to enter.

P#65561 2019-07-04 19:52

Hello!
I'm Matt, Game-Designer from Argentina.
Found out about pico-8 last year. A friend and I made a little game with it. We stopped using it because pirating didn't feel right :/.

I ☆love☆ alternative engines. I'd use pico-8 to learn LUA practically and prototype little games and board games.

Thanks!

P#65564 2019-07-04 20:45 ( Edited 2019-07-04 20:59)

I've known about PICO for a bit but only very recently got a laptop to use for programming. PICO would be a great tool for immediately getting experience creating games before I have learned another language enough to make a game in it. My girlfriend and I want to create games together and if I received a copy I would love to help her with her first game which is a platformer featuring a bunch of cute bug characters she's designed.

P#65565 2019-07-04 21:06

hello yes i would like to enter

why-i've always wanted to try my hand at game making

what make- well i'd have to learn how to use it first but probably a platformer first and foremost and then other stuff later

P#65567 2019-07-04 21:09

I remember from when I was a kid that my brother used to make games in Visual Basic and show them to me, now he has kids and I want them to experience something similar

I want to make simple games, something that would make them smile

P#65584 2019-07-04 23:54 ( Edited 2019-07-04 23:55)

I found Pico8 searching for game engines on the web and immediately fell in love with it. As a programming student, the price, being in dollars, is really difficult to me to pay because I'm from Mexico and the currency exchange is really high. I wish I can afford it, if I win, I will be really thankful.

I would like to create a little game for my sister's birthday.

P#65585 2019-07-05 01:14 ( Edited 2019-07-05 01:17)

I really love 2d games and simple games. I'm trying to learn how to make my own games with Game Maker and Love2d. I really want to get PICO-8 because of how fun it looks to use and that it got a simple it makes Lua to use.

Right now i'm trying to learn Lua with the help of Love2d. I really want PICO-8 for 2 main things and that for making really small 2d games and helping my little get in to Lua and game making.

The games i would make with PICO-8 if i had it would be small arcade 2 player games. That i can play with my little brother and friends.

I got a Rassbarie Pi that i want to turn into a small 2 player console and i want to install PICO-8 on it to play.

P#65587 2019-07-05 06:15

I have really limited funds and love the aesthetics of this little console <3

I would love to make a cute, small roguelike based on an old school project.

P#65588 2019-07-05 06:20

I've been eyeing up pico-8 for a couple of years and never quite got round to buying it. If I were to win it I would love to build a dungeon scroller like gauntlet. My 2 eldest sons are both interested in making games as well but neither of them are comfortable with learning anything too complex yet.

P#65589 2019-07-05 07:12

I would like to win because the only other way I got my first game engine was by tricking my aunt into buying it for me. And I would like to make (if I was so lucky) A simple game that would be the ultimate time killer. Maybe not a platformer just so I can shake my style up a bit.

P#65590 2019-07-05 08:24

I have made some games with Unity, but it's not best engine to make 2d pixel art games. Also I think it would be easier to finish and polish my game with simpler engine like pico-8. And if I win I'm going to make game for LowRezJam :D

P#65591 2019-07-05 08:49 ( Edited 2019-07-05 08:52)

I'm so interested in both the simplicity and depth that pico can manage. I'd like to use pico-8 to make a simple puzzle game about a lesser known plumber fixing all the pipes in the desert to provide his town with water. Afterwards maybe a roguelike where you play the end boss.

P#65598 2019-07-05 12:40

This is my first time hearing of Pico-8 and I love the simplicity and style of it! If I got Pico-8 I would use it to create fun games with my characters and their stories. Making games is a big dream of mine and winning Pico-8 will help me with that! My first game will be a game based around plants and plant related characters, in a topdown story based enviorment.

P#65599 2019-07-05 13:12

A good friend of mine uses Pico-8 a lot to make some great games, so I heard of and garnered an affection for them that way. One of my favorite gifts I've received is a little game made from Pico-8, so I would love to make beautiful art and games like what I've received and return the favor!

P#65601 2019-07-05 14:09

Ever since reading about PICO in a magazine the other month I've been intrigued by the whole concept. I downloaded Unity ages ago, but I just haven't got round to doing anything with it - it just seems so "big" that it's hard to know where/how to start, whereas PICO seems like you can knock something together really quickly, like the "old days" :)

I'd like to win because it'll give me the opportunity to code something with my daughters without worrying about endless set up and configuration and them getting bored before we've even started!

The first thing we'd probably do it a simple guess the number game, just to get the hang of it, then after that maybe a platformer featuring them - they've always asked me to put them into a game, but I've never had time to do it. I think PICO is something we can learn together and have fun along the way.

P#65603 2019-07-05 14:25

I have seen a friend of mine do a bit of playing around with Pico-8 at school and I got interested in it. If i would win i would like to make my own little games and ofc play them.

P#65604 2019-07-05 14:44

well, I'm a young student, and like many others, it's always been a dream of mine to create my own, and bring joy to others! I love the aesthetics of Pico8, and retrogames, and I also love programming, and creating art and music, so that's why I want to use Pico8!

P#65605 2019-07-05 14:46

Well i enter because i wan't to prove that the most creativity and good experience was when hardware was limited (old school console).

Like old day console and demoscene :

Small is Beautiful

^__^

P#65606 2019-07-05 14:58

How can I donate a copy for this?

P#65609 2019-07-05 15:58

I've always wanted to make a game with pico-8 cause most people that I follow on twitter mentions or demos something with it and I feel so left out hahaha

P#65611 2019-07-05 16:09

Thanks for the opportunity!

I'm currently studying to become a programmer and I've loved videogames since I was a child so you just add 2+2 haha.
I want to start doing small games and start working on the ideas I have on my head so I think Pico-8 is perfect for that job.
I've been following Pico-8 for a looong long time but I was never able to grab a copy T^T

P#65612 2019-07-05 16:32

Hi @cryptozoologist,
Thank you for offering!
Please can you send me a Direct Message on Twitter?
So, I can give you the necessary details.
(And avoid chatting here, among the entrants 😉)
Thanks again!

P#65613 2019-07-05 17:41

I've fallen on some hard times as of late and this idea of mine is what I cling to for comfort. If possible I hope to turn this idea into a game that can help others find solace as well. I appreciate the opportunity.

P#65615 2019-07-05 18:06

I have loved Pico 8 from afar for a long time.

Winning a Pico 8 (kind of) morally obliges me to get off my ### and make something whereas a purchase might sit alongside my mountain of untouched best intentions.

As far as what I wish to create a fast paced reaction game with four button inputs. I've always liked the clay pigeon shooting game in Hypersports (Arcade / ZX Spectrum) and the Asteroid shooting section in Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600), and think that there is something fundamentally satisfying with on-rails twitch shooters.

Pico 8 seems ideal for a project like this, and the scope is not too large so I think it's a project that is completable.

P#65616 2019-07-05 18:26 ( Edited 2019-07-05 18:35)

I'm just taking a chance here, but I'm the type of person who deeply admires other creators but doesn't have the tools nor skills to create things themselves.

So, a Pico 8 giveaway seems like a good opportunity to start.

I'm not sure what I'd create, but it's something I've been thinking about doing for a while, so I have some ideas floating around. I suppose I'll see how far those go.

P#65617 2019-07-05 19:46

I do hobbyist coding on smartwatches and have watched PICO 8 for some time.

I made a demake of Tomytronic Sky Attack for Pebble. It’s the first game I’ve coded and I really enjoyed it, especially the constrained 144x168px 64 color screen. I'd love to port that to PICO 8.

P#65618 2019-07-05 22:37

I remember seeing an awesome Metroid fan game called Minitroid and loved the style of it. I believe such a game could be recreated in PICO 8, so I planned to get it in order to attempt and make my own game at some point. I have been inspired to create using Mario Maker and Minecraft in the past and hope to one day pick up PICO 8, sadly I am currently between jobs so that's going to be a while before I can justify it.

Good luck to everyone who has took part!

P#65621 2019-07-05 23:02
Page:

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 07:47:43 | 0.176s | Q:127