The other day I listened to @Gruber's nice transcription of Giant Steps and I felt inspired, so here's another late-1950s jazz standard, this time from the great Dizzy Gillespie: "Con Alma".

My transcription is based on the version from the album Duets (1958) with Dizzy (trumpet) and Sonny Stitt (tenor sax).

I of course didn't have room for all the solos (the recording is over 9 minutes long), so I picked my favorite sections, but otherwise tried to stay faithful to their improvisations. I also made a loop out of the whole thing, so I didn't have to try to make room for the ending :)

It can be quite challenging and awkward trying to mimic the expressive, organic sound (and swung rhythm) of wind instruments with PICO-8's limited beeps and boops, but I'm pretty happy with the result, considering the medium :D

[sfx]

P#65402 2019-06-26 03:05

Bahahha!! Great job!

I gotta admit, there’s something hilarious and absurd about these jazz arrangements. It produces an unusual number of LOLs. Like, for some reason Pattern 08 is hilarious for me :D

P#65406 2019-06-26 13:04

thanks! haha yes it is definitely ridiculous! that makes it worth doing :D

for me I think the highlight is Dizzy's crazy solo as a square wave, when it goes into that high register with all the pitch bends...it still sounds like Dizzy!

P#65409 2019-06-26 17:22

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 18:58:49 | 0.008s | Q:13