First, thank you to everyone in the Pico-8 community for being so amazing. With a heavy heart, I have had to regretfully shut down PlayPico after 3 years. I no longer have the time or finances to maintain the site, as I have a very demanding job and a 4th child due 3 weeks from today (PlayPico was a labor of love and cost around $30/mo to run). Other than the finances, I simply don't have the time; the site required a lot of maintenance, and over the past 3 years, I probably invested over 1000 hours into development and maintenance. It started growing in users to the point where more and more new features were becoming absolutely necessary, and it was getting neglected. Several key features were also broken after the BBS updates, and while I fixed many of them, I couldn't find time to fix all of them or continue to keep up should the same issues arise again.

Thanks again for everything, everyone! I hope PlayPico at least brought you all some joy, that's all it was ever meant to do. I'm sorry that it can't continue, but I hope it served you all well while it was there. It had a good run.

Love you all,

• Scathe
P#65167 2019-06-13 01:56

Hi Scathe,
Completely understand (..and congrats on #4!)
Thanks for everything.
Wish you all the best in the future! :D

P#65179 2019-06-13 16:37

Sad news, but makes sense.
Thanks for your time, also on behalf of a few kids around me!
All the best, Scathe!

P#65202 2019-06-14 19:21

Awh, I'll miss that wee site! thank you so much for all your work on it, it's a real cool thing! All the best 🙂

P#65243 2019-06-17 13:27

Logging in, Scathe, just to say, you're welcome to join me in Writer's Cafe. Won't cost you a penny.

While it may not look like much, you can actually do quite a bit there and are offered unlimited images to include with unlimited posts that can include raw HTML.

As Pico-8 can be saved as PNGs, that means you can post unlimited cartridges (images) there as well.

And you can always link back to Mother Base (Lexaloffle) Something to consider so your hard work at PlayPico doesn't vanish completely.

. . .

Wanted to add, Writer's Cafe is now charging money to do HTML or even simple links in your posts unless you've been "grandfathered" in (which I was). I didn't know they blocked HTML and links until I tried to recently create a new account there.

However, you can do anything at all in TUMBLR. HTML, Javascript, CSS, no ads, and unlimited images, and all for FREE. I have a page there.

http://www.tumblr.com

P#65275 2019-06-19 04:05 ( Edited 2019-07-01 16:14)

... This bites. That was an awesome game collection and I was just now looking for it to relax with a game.

If Scathe can't continue because of time or money, heck I could do this all for freebles. Write a program in Blitzmax to do 4-things.

[1] input HTML image of cart (actual picture to see, already provided by lexaloffle)
[2] input description of cart
[3] input name of cart as a button to click
[4] where the name clicked goes to HTML (lexaloffle page so can leave comments on how great it is too)

The Blitzmax code I write would automagically create a raw HTML I can paste in TUMBLR that shows all this nicely. Post a link here to go there, put them all in a nice table, say 3- or 4- thumbnails across and all the way down. Could move the description so it appears if you hover over the button.

I've done this already with thumbnails at 1-across - you can see HERE with buttons links to my Writer's Cafe and Dailymotion account.

https://dw817-dm.tumblr.com/

I'm retired. Won't cost me or anyone a cent - just a bit of coding time.

Any interest in this ? It would probably last as long as Tumblr is around which could be awhiles.

P#67528 2019-09-11 03:39 ( Edited 2019-09-11 05:37)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 08:12:07 | 0.007s | Q:18