Cart #45803 | 2017-11-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My entry to the 3-Color Jam (#3CJam), where you had to create a "spooky" game that used no more than 3 colours (and yes, Black is a colour!). It is an attempt to make a short adventure game, based heavily on the movie "Halloween" by John Carpenter.

I created it using my SCUMM-8 point & click adventure game engine (GitHub link)

However, due to the BBS web player not hiding mouse cursor and right-clicks,
I recommend playing it on My itch.io page (LINK)

Also, for the best effect: turn the lights down and the sound up or headphones)! :D

CONTROLS:

• Mouse is recommended
  • (Arrows / Z / X - will also work)

A "POINT & CLICK" PRIMER:

• If never played a "Point+Click" adventure game before...
  • Simply use the cursor and (left) click where you want the player to Walk To.
  • To interact with objects, click on the Verb you wish to perform, then click on the object.
  • For example, to Pick-up the Knife... simply click "PICK-UP" and then click on the "Knife" object in the scene.
  • When hovering the cursor over objects, their default verb/action (if applicable) will be highlighted. In this case, you can simply Right-click on the object for the default verb/action to be performed.

CREDITS & THANKS:

• Code, Art & Music (cover): Paul Nicholas ( @Liquidream)
  • Additional design by Hilda Nicholas.
  • Original "Halloween" Music, Concept & Credit: John Carpenter

RELEASE HISTORY:

[b]v1.1[/b]: 
 * [b]FIX[/b]: Issues with wardrobe doors
 * [b]FIX[/b]: Replaying intro when re-entering first room
 * [b]FIX[/b]: Display issue if user clicks after ending
 * [b]CHG[/b]: Now only offers hint once you've looked at a certain object.
[b]v1.0[/b] 
 * Initial version

P#45709 2017-10-31 10:32 ( Edited 2017-11-02 12:04)

haha I'm not one for horror movies but this was fun and the ending was cheesy and predictable in the best way possible :D

What a good usage of your cool SCUMM engine! I caught your Thimbleweed Park reference in there ;)

Also, thank you for also making sure regular btn() input still works :)

P#45740 2017-10-31 21:44 ( Edited 2017-11-01 01:44)

@kittenm4ster: Hey thanks a lot - glad you enjoyed it (& thx for not spoiling the ending!)

I'm so glad at least SOMEONE caught my Thimbleweed Park reference! That game (and the whole Ron Gilbert/LucasArts back-catalogue) are a huge influence on me, so seems rude NOT to give them a "nod" here & there! :D

No probs - I hope it played ok on gamepad/keyboard, I have to confess that most of my testing is always with the mouse.

Thanks again.

P#45755 2017-11-01 02:23 ( Edited 2017-11-01 06:23)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 13:18:26 | 0.018s | Q:21