Cart #45720 | 2017-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Created over two weekends for #3cjam.

Play a frantic scramble to knock bats from the sky and collect their stunned bodies to distract your enemy, Vlad Pitt, the most feared vampire of all Pico-8 games. Don't fall, watch out for bats, and never lose sight of the deadly Count.

Press Z to jump.
Press X to throw a bone.
Use Left and Right Arrows to move.
Press the Down Arrow to hop down off platforms at your own risk.

Game Play:
Avoid bats and Vlad Pitt while trying to hit them with your bones.

Hitting the bats with a bone will stun them until they are picked up. If you pick them up, you increase the amount of damage you do to the Count. If the Count picks them up he will gain some health back.

If you are embraced by Vlad you will lose one life and also all the bats you have collected.

You have 3 lives. Can you beat the horrifying Vlad Pitt??!

Happy Halloween!!!

10/31 Update:
Made the jump a little more forgiving.
Varied the bats speed, and spawning.
Stunned bat bodies now blink giving a bit more feedback.

P#45614 2017-10-29 22:31 ( Edited 2017-10-31 20:04)

lol i starred this based on just reading the description :D

then I actually played it and discovered the cute b&w spritework :). I managed to beat it, but, if i may, the jumping feels overly difficult to me...like the falling is really super fast and made it very difficult to jump up to other platforms...it seems like adjusting the physics slightly would make it more fun. that's my 2 cents, and I know it's always hard to gauge difficulty of your own games

anyway, nice work! I enjoyed this :D

P#45616 2017-10-29 22:51 ( Edited 2017-10-30 02:52)

Love the spritework! The enemies move really fast, so it's a little hard to get a handle on the gameplay. It might be worth slowing things down just a little bit in a future version! Either way, I love the concept of throwing bones at bats. Super spoopy, with such a great art style! :)

P#45705 2017-10-31 10:15 ( Edited 2017-10-31 14:15)

I am happy to hear that you both liked the spritework. That's a great comment! In response to some of the game play elements, I did make the jump a bit more forgiving, and varied the bat speed (not by much) and altered their spawn rate. When I had people play it yesterday, I watched that jump kill them so many times!! I felt bad.. lol. So totally valid. And it IS hard to gauge the difficulty!!

As I was making it I had to scale down all sorts because of the time I had and the skills I have. But in the end I was pleased and feel that its a good prototype of a future idea if I want to take it further. That's a game jam right?!

P#45721 2017-10-31 16:04 ( Edited 2017-10-31 20:04)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 11:38:02 | 0.018s | Q:20