VOID is an arcade game where you have to collect as many stars as you can while avoiding the enemies falling in the void! You have to beat all the 10 levels to become a winner!
This is my first game ever. I'm a composer, but I've been always interested in making games, so this week I tried out PICO8 and I started learning programing. And I have to say that I'm really loving it!
I'd like to continue learning new stuff, so I will try to update this game from time to time adding maybe new obstacles, power ups, new functions...
I'd be happy to read feedback from you or any thought you have.
- Game finished after some bug fixes and polishing.
Thank you for all your support!
- Delete 2 player mode because it was only a testing work. If I ever do a versus mode I will do it properly.
- Added levels to the game. You start in level one and have to reach and win level 10. You win a level reaching 100 points.
- Each level is more difficult due to an increase of the enemies spawn rate.
- In level 10 you have to win avoiding the boss lasers. (Boss is the player2 of the versus mode.
- If you win level 10, you win the game.
- Added new victory sfx.
- Fixed some miscelanious bugs.
- Change menu names for 2 modes: Arcade and Versus.
- Change player controls. Now player 2 moves with S and F, instead of Z and X.
- Added a timer so you have to wait 1 sec before you can press a mode after you finish playing.
I did it because it was easy to press Z or X without taking it in mind.
- Minor fixes.
- Fixed Energy spawn rate to make it spawn every X seconds, instead of a random value.
- Added a different speed rate to the enemy to make the gameplay more interesting. (Thanks "EatMoreCheese" for the idea!)
- Slow the overall enemy speed to make the game easier at first stage.
- Added speed up power up that lasts 3 seconds.
- Added rainbow particles to player 1 (we must fight the void bro!)
- New energy sprite.
- New enemy sprite (let's call it Void Eye! :P).
- Added a 2 players mode! The 2 player is an enemy ship that can move only left and right and will shot each sec.
If player 1 achieve 100 points, he wins. If not, player 2 (the enemy ship) wins.
Player 2 moves with Z and X.
- New win sound for 2 players mode.
- First prototype of the game.
Not a bad start at all! Music is super fun so your musical chops are definitely showing through.
Try not to avoid making people press Z and X together at the same time. It's awkward on just about every gamepad and near impossible to do some on the PocketCHIP and it's crappy keyboard. This is minor and not really anything about the game itself, just something to maybe keep in mind.
As for the game...does it ever speed up? I expected it to increase speed as I kept going and collecting the dots. That would certainly add some challenge.
Could be fun and would be easy to have things change color after you reach a certain point level. Maybe after X number of points, the speed increases along with color change. Just something to keep people moving...
Keep it up!
I like the music a lot. I kind of wish the player piece was a little dude like a wizard or something heh heh.
The hitbox on the player or obstacles seem too big. I was hitting bars with the bottom part of my ship that I really wasn't actually hitting.
Hey dude sweet tunes! I played around with this because I thought it could use a few tweaks to the gameplay.
- The walls all come down very uniformly so eventually you just get trapped. With some variance in their speed, the player can use more strategy to navigate and not feel trapped.
- The stars in the background were moving as quickly as the foreground, so it was a bit too distracting for me. I slowed them down.
- Rather than fixing the collision detection, I just changed the wall sprites to space monsters that are obviously the same size as the hitbox. Just easier for me to do =)
- The player also needed speeding up so he could reach the energy and not watch it drift helplessly past him. Doubled to 2 speed.
- The wall spawning speed is very fast and doesn't allow much scoring (at least for me) so I slowed it down a little bit.
- Adding some colour can help the player identify good and bad things quickly. Now the energy balls stand out a lot more, and they match your character so you know to collect them. The hearts are also turn grey when you lose your life and red for health.
Hope you don't mind me playing with it ... they are just suggestions you can use if you like!
Hey! Thanks! I've to say that I realised that the music wasn't complete in this version, so will upload the complete with in the next update!
I agree with you. But also, the walls didn't delete theirself, the just go up when they get to the bottom, so at the end the player is goign to feel trapped anyway. But yeah, with the speed change it makes the game more fluid.
I played with that speed, but I feel maybe it's too slow for me. But it's just play around to see what value is perfect to fit the gameplay :)
Nice one! I like the monsters though! I think I will do something like that for the next update :D
I was actually working on a new speedup powerup that make the player double it speed for about 3-5 seconds. One of the difficulties of the game is to be able to control de player with that speed.
- It's true that it's a bit confusing. I tried to use purple as "the right color", but I should do as you say, make it more obvious!
Not at all! I removed the CC license, but if anyone wants to try out something in the game, just send me a message and there will be no problem at all. Thank you for your feedback :)
Hi Bibiki, nice update! I like the particle system you added. Would be neat if it paused when you reverse or increased when you move forward. The multiple speeds of enemies makes the gameplay much more interesting.
I still find the movement a bit slow but that just makes it a bigger challenge. Might be interesting to try a multiplier to the score according to how many enemies are on the screen, so you are rewarded according to difficulty. (e.g. Score+=flr(10+(NumEnemies*0.5)) or something)
[Please log in to post a comment]