Cart #30702 | 2016-10-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is the game I'm working on right now.
It's a pokemon-like game. You start with one chimera and must convert new chimeras by fighting them.

• Move/Swap your chimeras, talk and grab stuff with arrow keys. Fights are automatics.
  • When you defeat a group of chimeras they turn green and you can convert one of them.
  • Your starting group size is only one but you can improve it by collecting rods of obedience.
  • Your surviving chimeras wont replenish health or mana. You need to find apples to do this.

The map is not really balanced right now but the game is somehow playable. So I would be interested to know at this point how much chimeras you can defeat.
If you can defeat all 160 nothing will happen, because I didnt implement any ending right now.

Have fun !

P#30701 2016-10-11 19:26 ( Edited 2017-06-30 17:51)

Well...as usual, production value is through the roof. Well done and props on making another game that shows how Pico-8 can be more than a "hobby" platform. Your games continue to be a benchmark...

As for the game...I bounced around a few times and all my things got blown up :( Everything seemed to work fine - I just don't think the auto-fighting is my thing. And not really seeing any way to know what type of battle I'm walking into feels a little too random...but maybe I'm just missing something too.

Gonna do a few more plays and see if I can defeat one of the wild animals. I'll give it a go on the PocketCHIP later too...might feel more engaging on a handheld.

P#30708 2016-10-11 19:47 ( Edited 2016-10-11 23:47)

Dee-licious ! A full turn-based RPG with varying abilities and powers of morph-able main player !

Oh - you are the maker of Sheep & Cabbage ? WOW ! That's a brain-teaser puzzle you wrote !

P#30715 2016-10-11 20:33 ( Edited 2016-10-12 00:34)

Playing this game a bit too much. Lost all my Chimeras cough-Pokemon-cough again, said Game Over. Pressed UP to restart, and Ka-Pow, this message:

Hey, Zep !

Any chance of having a hot key save the current PICO display (wherever it is, output, editor, map, sprites, music, etc) to clipboard, so when you make a post you just hit CTRL-V to post that single image in the message ? Will make it a lot easier to show errors to authors.

Currently I'm using Paintshop Pro Corel Screen capture - not so easy.

P#30719 2016-10-11 22:02 ( Edited 2016-10-12 02:05)

I like the auto-battle now that I (mostly) understand it. It feels like a proper puzzle playing this game, especially with how open-ended it is at this point. I don't yet feel like it's impossible, though I've only collected one additional pickup (the shield). In the final version, it may benefit from having discrete "areas" to clear that are gated off by tough Chimeras, unless you wree going for that open-ended puzzle vibe.

One thing I dislike is not knowing what abilities do ahead of time (trial by error) until you defeat one and can talk to the trainer. Often times, I'm surprised an attack does so much damage, or an enemy magically gains more attack (until I later learn that it's because I had more HP).

I think the apples should heal a little more, but I'll have to play more to get a feel for balance.

Another problem is that sometimes the wild Chimeras in an enemy group are behind another Chimera, rock, etc, so you can't preview their stats because you cannot get adjacent to them. In a similar vein, if there's one Chimera to your top and one to your bottom, it will only show the stats of the one above you. Perhaps you should add a key or an automatic timer that toggles between the stats of adjacent Chimeras or adjacent group Chimeras.

P#30734 2016-10-12 04:24 ( Edited 2016-10-12 08:25)

This is one of the most polished and feature rich PICO-8 games I've ever played with great artwork and music too! Like other people are saying, it does maybe feel a bit unbalanced at the moment but that can be refined in future updates.

Having a blast playing this, good job so far!

P#30759 2016-10-12 13:56 ( Edited 2016-10-12 17:56)

This is nice! It takes a little while to figure things out, but once you get a sense of the stats and abilities, the battles can mostly be accounted for.

The following movement has some bugs that I can't replicate, but sometimes the chimeras stack up. With a party of 4 they accidentally stacked onto two spaces and I couldn't move anymore... I got to 25/160 before that happened.

The difficulty seems pretty close to well-balanced right now. At least as far as I got, everything was pretty sustainable. Looking forward to the balanced full release!

P#30790 2016-10-12 19:05 ( Edited 2016-10-12 23:05)

Damn, impossible to go further.

Twice I got around 50/160

The first time, I killed a bomber with a mimic guy, so it was double bomb and at the end of the fight game crashed (same as screenshot above)

The second time, I just "ran out of memory" and couldn't do anything.

Also if you lose both your chimaeras while killing your opponents (everybody dead), you can be bugged if you have a baton and don't take all ur chimaeras. Then you select one new chimaeras and it is invisible. Something like that happened. Your chimaera is invisible forever.

P#42106 2017-06-30 13:51 ( Edited 2017-06-30 17:51)

Uhm

P#112259 2022-05-25 13:44

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 06:35:32 | 0.014s | Q:27