I leave here in the forums a copy of my entry to lowrezjam 2022, Aztec. Code ended up being really messy and there's a lot of things to fix/improve post-jam, but I thought it would be a nice addition to the BBS. It's multicart (has a loader companion) as I needed a bit of extra space in the main cartridge to fit everything.
Tonatiuh, the Sun God is angry! The High Priest Tonauac has decided to invoke the Tanatiuh Cualo, the ritual that will eat the Sun God and placate his wrath, but to achieve it he needs the Jewel skulls to be placed in their right places in Tenochtitlan's Templo Mayor.
While he prepares for the ritual, he sends you, the Aztec prince Guatemoc, into the temple to search for the sacred skulls and place them in their pedestals. Beware the traps and misteries that protect the sacred grounds of the Temple!
Code, SFX & Art by SlainteES
Music & SFx by: VavMusicMagic
Find this game on itch: https://slaintees.itch.io/aztec
Issues and bugs to fix:
- Jumping whlie climbing continuously reattach you to the ladder if pressing a directional button
- Some issues with "top of a ladder" state detection can cause you to drop from the top of a ladder
- Some performance issues randomly due to suboptimal collision detection
- If dying mid-air ocassionally the game does not make you land before actually dying (rare to happen)
- Minor sync issues detecting activable objects (particularly Obsidian mirrors, that can be activated a bit earlier than they should)
- Some more (yes... those again...) ladder issues can end up pushing you inside walls... 1 bugreport so far, but a nasty one... (Really... who decided ladders are cool?)
- Reset DX velocity to 0 before respawn, you could "move" while respawning because it was not set to 0
Pretty fun! the movement is a bit hard but the things like moving against a wall and jumping lets you hop just up to it is nice.
If I'm honest waiting (or maybe moving away not sure?) to prompt a save point else restarting is.. doesn't feel great? but other than that and some odd times with ladders it all came together good! I like the flame trap's sprite very cool
@dredds Thank you for the comments... if you really did not notice it was 1/4th of the normal resolution I am much better than I thout at this XD
@dw817 Not sure if I depict what is happening there... Jump gets longer/higher if you keep the button pressed. The thing is if you get enough momentum you "land" a bit harder and crouch to absorb the impact, which requires a bit of recovery time... is that the case? I think it's one of the points I need to balance/polish around...
Thnx @profpatonildo, glad you liked it!
@SmellyFishstiks thank you for the feedback... Getting some fire around the checkpoints :P I might need to fine-tune those as well... and ladders? Who thought they were a good thing to add in a game? There's just so many things you can mess when implementing them... i guess your comment revolves around the auto-reattach happening when jumping while climbling?
@slainte ya I think so. I was trying to recreate it (shown in .gif 2) and I also found out they let you survive death if you cling on to them! (I think I'm being pushed into the wall and it's shoving me to places it shouldn't? not sure)
really fun game! just ya ladders seem like bug nightmares! (sorry ;\ ) and man I died pretty far in and have to do it all over again cause I didn't wait 3 seconds to save again again after failing on the hard jumps!
@SmellyFishstiks the thing about surviving death has nothing to do with stairs... you had the obsidian mirror activated (see you had the mirror icon next to your life meter).
The other issue is because jumping up/down ladders is not correctly supported and also aligns you to the stairs to prevent colliding with the walls around it... Ladders are a pain in the a** :P
Thnx for the comments @Bloodbane A 2 weeks jam does not give you that much space for a "long" game, it was quite the miracle I could complete such a reasonably sized map. The mid-air control restriction is intentional... I wanted something in the spirit of old days platforming, not easy-peasy mario speedrunner platforming :)
yes @kimiyoribaka ... and it's one of the things I need to refine for post-lowrezjam version... checkpoints need to be reactivated in several situations:
- time: the mirrors remember briefly (that's the hint the voices of ancient lore give you)
- respawn/activation: the magic on the mirror gets depleted and they require some recharging time, so after a respawn you need to activate the mirror (waiting for it to be available) or find another one to activate... That's the mechanic I need to file out a bit
The art is beautiful, it makes such good use of the limited resolution and the palette is obviously very carefully considered. The animations also add refinement and give the title a polished feel.
Congratulations on making such an attractive game. It feels perfectly natural rather than limited by the restrictions of the jam.
Thank you for the feedback @PAK9, glad you liked my little game.
When I join lowrezjam (I try to do it regularly...) I put a lot of effort on not fighting the resolution but into embracing the limitation and design things for it rather than hammering on a "regular" game to make it fit the available space. Takes a lot more effort for sure, and particularly gfx and text interaction require a lot of preparation, but I think the end-result is really worth the extra effort.
[Please log in to post a comment]