Cart #lockey-0 | 2021-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

For more information, check out the itch.io-page which also includes a manual!

reineke.itch.io/lockey

[8x8]

A game about locking and unlocking!

Heeding the tales of an old man, Zana makes her way to the catacombs to find Lockey's fabled artifact that grants its owner immeasurable power. As she reaches the catacombs, the ground gives way and drops her in the middle of this otherworldly underground... which is filled with locks and keys! As Zana keeps locking and unlocking doors, collecting and using keys, she realizes: the old Lockey was a nutcase and this place is a labyrinth! What will Zana do? Perish between the locks? Keep her cool and find a way out? Or even retrieve the artifact and make her dreams become a reality? It’s up to you!

The game

Welcome to the strange catacombs of Lockey! This place may seem daunting at first, but keep your wits about yourself and you’ll do just fine! LOCKEY: Zana’s Tale is a puzzle game for one player. By controlling Zana, your goal is to figure out how to go from room to room in order to exit the catacombs … or maybe even find Lockey’s artifact! Zana’s only action is locking and unlocking doors. There are no hazards to speak of, there are no Game Overs and you can play the game from start to finish without interruption.

Controls, Locking and Unlocking

You may have heard of many adventures where the hero finds keys to unlockdoors and then that door would be open forever. This game is very different! Every door you unlock, you can lock again. And that’s not all! Everytime you lock a door, you receive a key! Sure, that door may be an obstacle again, but maybe you can get creative elsewhere with this new key!

Press O near a locked door to unlock it, provided that you have a key.
Press O near an unlocked door to lock it and receive a key!

You may find different kinds of locks, like those with a number on it. For example, if a lock says "3", you need 3 keys in your inventory to open it!

Credits

Code for outlines by Liquidream
Code for screenshake and fade by Krystman
This game started out as a result of this tutorial by Dylan Bennett

First game I finished in PICO-8 and the code is quite messy, but I hope the game is fun at least! Thanks for playing and let me know what you think!

For more information, check out the itch.io-page which also includes a manual!

reineke.itch.io/lockey

P#103630 2021-12-27 19:41 ( Edited 2021-12-28 16:17)

Interesting logic puzzle, @Reineke.
Wait, that's not a key, it's a gold star. Keep it safe. :)

P#103631 2021-12-27 19:59

Great stuff. I love the PDF manual. Great artwork.

P#103633 2021-12-27 20:09

A nice interesting spin on this type of game and good fun. Lovely attention to detail with the manual.

Slight issue with the controls (using desktop) they seem to stick when you hold them down.

This is your first Pico game? Its very polished. Highly deserved gold star

P#103684 2021-12-28 18:02

Thanks for the responses and those gold stars, guys - really appreciate them! Especially since the code is a bit messy/amateurish (which probably explains the sticky controls, phil). So I'm glad it's at least fun and enjoyable on the outside!

P#103788 2021-12-29 20:59

This is extremely well done and does a fantastic job of embracing the limits of PICO-8. Very, very nice work! :D The art is amazing. And I love the manual! :D

P#103837 2021-12-30 19:58

Absolutely amazing ! It goes into my top 5 favorite games. The feeling after you get done with the last puzzle and see this big 8 is so cool ! I managed to get 6 keys after the 8 door.

P#110100 2022-04-12 06:10

Yay!

P#110333 2022-04-16 17:31

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 14:57:42 | 0.016s | Q:30