Cart #mseddowu-0 | 2022-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hello fellow Pico-8 fans

It's still a work in progress, but thought folks could check it out and have more fun. Thanks to @Krystman and LazyDevs for getting me up to speed with Pico-8. More acknowledgements below. But thought I'd start out with some early thanks :)

How to play the game

X - Launch Ball
C - Launch Bomb (need to gain them with bomb powerup)
Left - Move Paddle Left
Right - Move Paddle Right

When in the Piconoid start screen
Left - Show Highscores
Right - Hide Highscores
Up/Down - Level select (I opted to add this feature to have fun with the different levels)

Goal is to hit the bricks, and clear them all before advancing to the next level. There are 9 levels (more to come).

Powerups

The original power ups from breakout hero are there AND I added a few more power ups.

New Powerups...

Lazor - Hit Z to shoot!
Multipaddle - A new paddle will appear on top of the existing one
Bomb - Hit Z to send off a bomb vertically. These can destroy invincible bricks
Bomb ball - changes bricks into exploding bricks
Powerup ball - changes bricks into powerup bricks

There are four backgrounds

Circuits
Cells
Starfield
Rain

New Update

• Highscores
  • New Powerup - Powerup Ball - changes bricks into powerup bricks
  • Updated/New Levels - Jelpi, Pico8s, Maze, Core, Metroid, Buttonz, Heart, Evil Eye, Facey
  • Updates to the graphics and soundfx
  • Fixed bugs

Another Update

• Added banana power up... my daughter's idea :)
    • Makes the ball go faster and unpredictable angles
  • Added paddle ram check
  • Added clip so that you can see the ball behind sash
  • Level select menu on start screen

Finally, again a HUGE thanks to LazyDevs for putting out the Breakout Hero tutorials. I wouldn't have made it this far this quickly without them. And Huge thanks to the community for a whole lot of other tips and tricks.

Any feedback and comments about the game, gameplay, the code, etc... would be great.

Enjoy : )

P#100364 2021-11-18 20:19 ( Edited 2022-03-27 20:09)

nice!

P#100371 2021-11-18 20:54

Awesome!

P#100385 2021-11-18 23:57

<3

P#100440 2021-11-19 20:47

I loved the game, the palette and particle effects. Nice difficulty on the gameplay! One question, is the screen shake + glitch is intended as a visual only effect or as a gameplay feature? I ask because when the bricks are too low, like in the second stage, I get a bit lost on the ball location due to the shake and screen artifacts. If it's something to add to the difficult, then, it's on point!! hehehe. Amazing game, I'll be returning here to look for updates on it!

P#100943 2021-11-28 15:49

Yeah, the screenshake and glitch effect are there for juicyness and add to the difficulty; harder to keep your eye on the ball :) I did think it was a little much so I attenuated the effect a bit. I'm going to post an update soon.

P#100945 2021-11-28 16:51

Dang this is such a fantastic version of Breakout. Talking about surpassing the Tutorial. How does even the background work? Is this procedural?

P#109997 2022-04-10 06:54

Thank you!! Especially 'cause you provided the best tutorials!! The background is simply a set of six sprites (see image below) that I jumbled together in the map :) I did do a starfield effect in some of the levels; the pico8s level has it.

P#110010 2022-04-10 20:03

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 10:10:33 | 0.022s | Q:29