LIST OF MODDED GAMES

"PICOA RACE" (11-23-21) written by @hijongpark.
Genre: Classic Arcade Remake, Topview Rotating Shooter

The changes are:

• Increase ships to 9
  • Change fire button to (O)
  • Auto-fire (hold (O))
  • Move with up arrow key
  • Half-speed of original

You can find that HERE: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=45449

"MONSTER EYE" (12-02-21) written by @hanswolo
Genre: Turn-based JRPG

The changes are:

• Increased speed of map navigation

You can find that HERE: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=101256

"THE LEGEND OF TIKI GABOU" (03-30-20) written by @Raphytator
Genre: Action-Adventure Zelda-Like

The changes are:

• Repair scrolling text
  • Translate to English

You can find that HERE: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=37218

(See below for notes, permissions, and rules)

As I am quite lousy at playing action games, some of those few that I especially like, I have personally modded for myself and keep in an offline favorites folder.

It stands to reason I may not be alone in this so I would like to propose the following.

I can mod existing carts with the author's permission. I can change the keys used to play, affect the number of ships, men, or tries, in addition to making the game run at a more comfortable pace if desired. I can also translate the game to English.

I believe this thread will be beneficial to those who had turned down playing a game outright because it was too difficult, the controls were not easy to master, or it was written in a foreign language they did not know. I believe a thread of author-approved modded games has never been done before in Lexaloffle and will be a credit and benefit to the Pico-8 community.

There are some conditions that must be followed.

• No profit or fame is to be made or expected by making these mods. I hope only to expand the gaming library for those who have difficulty playing certain carts because of their set difficulties.
  • The author will most definitely be notified and asked on their own thread if this is permitted. They must agree or it will not happen.
  • This work will occur and appear only in the Lexaloffle website. Nowhere else without the permission of the original author.
  • My name will NOT appear when you boot the cart, all credit goes to the original author. Thank them, not me.
  • I may add some notes to the top of the source-code to show what was modded.
  • The cart will be posted on THEIR thread, not this one. They need the traffic.
  • A link will appear in this thread to the modded cartridge in addition to what changes I have made to make the game more playable for you.
  • I am not a miracle worker ! I may only mod one cart a day if even that many - when I'm online and in Lexaloffle. This particular post will be updated and a new reply sent below to reply to your own of my having finished working on the modified cart.
  • If that author does not yet have my star, I will give it then, to thank them for the privilege and selection of their cart and your interest in modifying it to make it more playable.

Look to new posts with this specific link:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs

The author of the original cart always has the final word on what they will allow and I will most definitely listen to them when they speak.

So if you state what cart you want modded, the URL to it, and what possible changes I can make to it to make it more playable, I will see what I can do.

Technical games involving deep strategy like buying and selling elements and so forth, or armies of fighters against another army of fighters - I will not touch - mostly because that kind of code can be very difficult albeit impossible for me to understand.

Obviously games where you merely increase the # of men or ships, etc. I can do those. Where you want different controls. Perhaps swap O and X or change O to press up, like for acceleration, I can do this.

If you want the game to run slower, I can do that as well for any cart.

If you want the game translated to English. This is also something I can do.

Don't see the game you're looking for ? Write below to COMMENT and let me know what game you'd like me to MOD for you - and what changes you want in it. I will check with the original author and see what can be done.

🦃 Happy Thanksgiving ... (11-25-21)
🍰 Happy Birthday ....... (11-30-21)

Enjoy !

P#100713 2021-11-23 20:53 ( Edited 2021-12-20 03:09)

I would just say please be mindful and considerate of cart authors. Unless they are asking or encouraging people to mod, some authors might be annoyed with you posting mods to their official cart thread, but too nice to say anything. Also, if a cart author has not posted their cart as Creative Commons, or has not explicitly encouraged people to make mods, and you are making your own version and posting it to the BBS, that might not be considered very nice. (For example, there are many mods of Celeste posted, but I believe the authors were fine with that. I may be wrong.) Saying the authors have final say is nice, but it shouldn't require action from them after the fact.

All that I've said should not discourage anyone from diving into BBS carts and making changes and having fun! (I certainly encourage my students quite often to do just that.) However, just be mindful of how it might be received when those changes are being posted back to the BBS. Some authors will be fine with it, but some will not and be too nice to say anything about it.

P#100724 2021-11-23 22:44

I want to be very clear on this, @MBoffin. With this post I will be asking the author on their thread if a MOD is permitted to be posted. It is their words that will decide on a mod is acceptable or not.

If they say NO then it will not happen. If they do not say ANYTHING it will also not happen.

As of now I release all the carts and games I have written, pretty close to 50 if you take everything I've written since I've been here the early part of a decade, and they may be modded and reposted on Lexaloffle WITHOUT my permission as long as you follow the law of Creative Commons.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Basically it means:

This license allows anyone to reuse, remix and share your cart for non-commercial use, with attribution. I will add to this personally for what I mod with approval and for what others mod of mine, they must stay within the confines of the Lexaloffle website and appear nowhere else and include a link to the web address that carries the original game.

I want to be very clear on this issue and I do not want to step on any toes or hurt anyone's feelings.

I believe this thread will be beneficial to those who had turned down playing a game outright because it was too difficult, the controls were not easy to master, or it was written in a foreign language they did not know. I believe a thread of author-approved modded games has never been done before in Lexaloffle and will be a credit and benefit to the Pico-8 community.

And I was expecting @freds72 to step in and lay down the law for me as I see now I was not 100% crystal clear of my intentions. He lives for this sort of thing. I knew it would either be you or him.

That is a credit to you.

P#100725 2021-11-23 22:59 ( Edited 2021-12-22 03:55)

Sounds good, and good luck! :)

P#100732 2021-11-24 00:49

I don’t think it’s useful to paint people as villains for being moderators (especially for a discord moderator, which is disconnedted from the bbs).

P#100733 2021-11-24 00:59

Not at all @merwok. I recognize @MBoffin and @freds72 as being the unofficial police in Lexaloffle. I value their input and recognize their authority. They are peacekeepers and maintain order. I welcome this.

P#100734 2021-11-24 01:09 ( Edited 2021-11-24 03:18)

I appreciate that, @MBoffin. I hope to hear back soon from @hijongpark. His words alone will dictate whether or not Lexaloffle is ready for this sort of thing.

If not, I can certainly shut this down just as easily with your thanks.

I have as they say a free schedule. :)

. . .

Ah, it won't be today. I'll post my new cart on the morrow though.

P#100735 2021-11-24 01:14 ( Edited 2021-11-24 02:54)

I found modding other's games completely fine in pico8, isn't that the whole purpose of pico8 ? It allows to take a look at the code of every games made in pico8.

And it's not realistic to earn profits with other's game in pico8 that can't even make a feature complete nes game.

P#100747 2021-11-24 05:42 ( Edited 2021-11-24 05:43)

Thank you, @hijongpark. I'm up past my bedtime. Waiting for the meds to kick in.

I'll go to include your game with my gratitude. Manana. It will be a fresh post in here. Welcome aboard. :)

P#100748 2021-11-24 06:06

@hijongpark, I have you at the top ! Hopefully I won't be on too much call here as I'm still working on other personal carts. Time will tell. Thanks again for being the first.

P#100783 2021-11-25 03:16

Thanks to @hanswolo for his game submission. See the link above to play his original or mod.

P#101268 2021-12-02 21:09

Thanks to @Raphytator for his game submission. See the link above to play his original or mod.

P#103154 2021-12-20 02:35

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 13:36:22 | 0.070s | Q:29