Follow
littlebluebro
[ :: Read More :: ]

Is there any way to get the system time? I know we can track the seconds since launch of the program but some type of unix timestamp would be nice. I want to build a game that tracks playtime between sessions. Think of a pico+tamagotchi mash up :)

P#87483 2021-02-10 20:56

So the Analogue Pocket is available for pre-order in a few days, if you haven't heard of it yet you should definitely check it out.
https://www.analogue.co/pocket

How awesome would it be if this thing could run Pico-8 cartridges!? Is that even possible? What kind of hardware requirements does pico-8 have?

P#80148 2020-07-31 03:50

First post here! Hello everyone! I've started playing around with pico-8 recently and am still kind of noob-levelish. So I'm looking at some suggestions and advice.

This is a little test I'm working before integrating it into a game I'm building with a friend. I need to create a circle that will follow a character. The "circle" will change the color of the sprites it overlaps. I started originally by calculating distance from the player to N number of x,y coordinates every frame which caused a ton of CPU load and didn't perform well. So I saved that data to a table and load that on _init. Then on each frame I just have to focus on looping through the table and calculating the drawing logic. I also saved a little more info for each "pixel" in the table like the ring level of the circle and an ON state I can use for other things I plan to do later.

Currently when I run the test the mem usage seems to be around 251(KB?) which seems pretty high from other little experiments I've done so far. Does pico-8 have a limit for mem usage or is there any threshold where I should start worrying? Is there a better way to store this info?

Cart #36115 | 2017-01-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#36117 2017-01-19 23:49 ( Edited 2017-01-27 03:16)