Follow
ChiefBradley
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #31907 | 2016-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'll keep this short, since I'm talking more about a potential game than an actual one at this point in my learning, but my end-goal here is to create a platformer that will run in the same vein as some of my favorite games of all time—Bionic Commando. Bionic Commando, but with hulking, mobile, desert tank towers. In my head, I'm thinking these Towers each be a level, as well as it's own boss. So maybe I'm also drawing some inspiration from "Shadow of the Colossus".

That said, the ability to jump is in this very very very early prototype version as a placeholder. It's much less complicated than figuring out how to program a grappling-hook, and I wanted to test my very basic, first attempt at 2d physics and basic ground-collision detection.

I work on this a bit every day, and so far I've made at least notable progress each time. It might take entirely too long, but I am bound and determined to finish at least this one game.

And—please, please, please—if you have any suggestions, tips, tricks, or advice of any sort, I would LOVE to hear from you.

~To-Do~
• Learn a whole bunch of things. Like, virtually everything.

~More Optimistic To-Do~
• Figure out how to get the outline beneath hero's feet to go behind ground sprites when she's standing.
• Increase map size by 3x/4x and learn to program the "camera" to follow the hero around.
• Replace simulated screen-wrapping with hard edges so the hero can't walk off the map.
• Add/animate grapple hook, map to button (not trying to add the actual mechanic yet—baby steps).
• Add/animate a sliding kick/dodge, map to button (once again, just animating—mechanics later).

~New in v003~
• Improved the ground collision detection so that the hero doesn't pop-up through the floor
• Re-colored everything to fit a Gameboy-esque, 4-color palette. For coolness.
• Added some useless sprites to decorate the tank-thing up a little bit.
• Added a sliding-stop effect when direction buttons are released
• Added jumping and falling animations

P#31391 2016-10-21 11:59 ( Edited 2016-10-27 17:37)

Cart #30954 | 2016-10-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#30694 2016-10-11 18:07 ( Edited 2016-10-11 22:07)

Cart #28867 | 2016-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

What I'm aiming to build is a sliding number puzzle, having recently bought a small plastic one at a novelty store/truck stop and remembering the simple fun of such puzzles as I solved it over and over again in the car. What I hope to is finish this cart, and then use the 15-tile sliding mechanics to create a new, more interesting game. perhaps a dungeon-crawling RPG, or something in the vein of the "Dungelot" series of games on iOS.

This cart is very nearly nothing at all. I'll be honest: I really just want to work on this some more on another PC, as well to test the new SAVE/LOAD @CLIP feature. What little programming there is is probably insanely messy and childish (I'm still blindly learning how to program with Pico-8, almost-exclusively through trial-and-error), and there are literally only three sprites, which are all of them no more than glorified squares.

If you think you can use this nearly-nothing for something, have at it, though!

P#28868 2016-09-20 11:19 ( Edited 2016-09-20 21:47)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 12:49:50 | 0.099s | Q:17