Wizardish - A First-Person Grid-Based Dungeon Crawler! (or Wizardish for those who like to be brief), created by Eduardolicious, is exactly what it says on the tin: a dungeon crawler, in first-person, that is grid-based.

But wait a second, what's this? First Person!?! On the Pico-8??? AWESOME!

Yes, Wizardish, in the vein of early RPGs like Ultima and, well, Wizardry, is a first-person dungeon crawling game where you down potions to regain health and fight monsters straight out of a tabletop RPG. Sounds great, right? Well, let's dive in and find out if Wizardish lives up to the task.

Well, for one, the music is epic. The song, titled Castle Ruins, composed by 0xabad1dea fits the dungeon-crawling DnD-style perfectly. It's foreboding, but adventurous. However, the track is short, and loops fairly often, and thus can become somewhat repetitive after a couple minutes.

Speaking of repetitive, this game is a hardcore tribute to it's inspirations, and not just in sound design, which (save the music) is minimalistic at best, but also in graphic design. The walls are represented by simple lines, with scenes differentiated only by the placement of these lines. There are no textures in the environment, save treasures and goblins.

Regardless, this is a Pico-8 game in 3d! Sure, we've had demos and 3d effects here and there, but to have a full game in 3d is... well, amazing, to be honest. And for it's efforts, being one of the first Pico-8 games to utilize the 3rd dimension, I commend it for its efforts. There are 4 classes to choose from in the game (Knight, Cleric, Wizard, and Ranger), and each one has their own pros and cons. For example, the ranger can avoid traps and attacks (serving as the thief most other games of this nature have), but have lower overall stats. On the other end, the Knight has great stats, but low attacking power. There's a balance achieved here, and I appreciate that. Some RPGs can be so one-sided (Quest 64... shivers)

All in all, for a First-Person Grid-Based Dungeon Crawler, it ain't half bad. For the low, low price of free, you get 8 levels, 4 classes, and a full 3d game, all done in one cart. It's a pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.

-Rudlin

P#23707 2016-06-26 19:48 ( Edited 2016-06-26 23:48)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 08:06:53 | 0.004s | Q:7