I'm having so much fun with Pico-8...I feel just like I did when I was 13 getting into QBasic for the first time in 1996. I used to go with my dad to the university with a floppy disc so I could download other people's QBasic programs, which were often "tiny games" by today's standards.

I love the feeling of being inside this cozy little world, that's all about playing games, reading code and writing code. I didn't think I'd ever be in such a world ever again.

I'm actually part of a world that's almost like this one. The NES homebrew community. Folks actually making real NES games in 6502 assembly (and also C at times). It's not quite the same though as the QBasic world felt, but I love it for many other reasons...

I live for making retro games, thanks to the creator for making this wonderful software. Hopefully I'll have some fun tiny games to share with the community at some point.

P#39096 2017-04-04 22:57 ( Edited 2017-04-05 22:58)

Ditto! :o)

I have fond memories of me and my mates making games in QBasic around the time I left school and went to college, where we made some more when we should've been studying!

In fact, I even made an (still as yet unfinished) port of the classic GORILLAS.BAS that came with QBasic. I even dug up the original code to see how some aspects were achieved (man, we have the luxury of so much CPU power nowadays!).

PICO-8 also reminds me of the fun that I had (or at least, tried to) with AMOS Professional on the Amiga. Unfortunately, I was a bit too impatient back then to make the most of it.

That's why (as you say) the PICO-8 really shines, coz it's got everything you need: code, gfx, sound and music editors - all built in. Nice and easy-to-learn API and language syntax. It's great for kids nowadays - I just WISH it was around when I was growing up (probably explains why I feel I've regressed a bit since discovering it!) ;o)

All the best with your games! :D

P#39097 2017-04-05 00:43 ( Edited 2017-04-05 04:43)

That GORILLAS.BAS clone looks awesome! Do NIBBLES.BAS next! I did see a couple of folks made snake games but an actual clone of the colors/sounds of the qbasic one would be awesome. Can't wait to play it when you're done lol. Trying to imitate the explosion sounds too? I used to get a huge kick out of throwing bananas way in the air and seeing them blow up inside a building because the downwards velocity had become so huge lol.

P#39101 2017-04-05 08:53 ( Edited 2017-04-05 12:53)

yessss same here! QBASIC was my first language back in like 1995 and PICO-8 has always reminded me a lot of those experiences I had back then :)

except PICO-8's SFX capabilities are sooo much better XD

also that GORILLAS.BAS clone is amazing!

P#39118 2017-04-05 18:58 ( Edited 2017-04-05 22:58)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 10:41:33 | 0.008s | Q:11