Cart #31849 | 2016-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the beginnings of my pico-8 homage to the classic SpaceWar!

I wanted to create a version for more than two players. If you play it, I definitely would love to hear what you think and welcome suggestions.

Enjoy!

Brent Atkinson

P#31852 2016-10-26 17:28 ( Edited 2016-10-27 08:06)

I really like the player select screen.

Alas I don't have a 2P to play it with.

I think on its own Spacewar was way too random as far as getting hits, and this one seems that way too. Even if you start 2P, and no one moves at all, it's kinda hard to hit the enemy ship. I think maybe some small things would help like making it a little slower, or making the ships 1px bigger.

More drastically... i think it might be fun to add things to the map that you can pick up, like temporary powerups, weapons, bombs.. Or just have the victory points appear and have that determine who wins; shooting just stuns someone giving you a better chance to pick up a victory point. In other words, I guess I'm saying it might be a good fit for Mario-Kart style gameplay, to at least some degree.

Or I suppose another way to go is like StarCon and just have different ships with different powers that can be selected on the select screen....

P#31879 2016-10-26 22:32 ( Edited 2016-10-27 02:32)

Hi cheepicus!

Of course you're right about the difficulty. Initially, I wanted to keep it somewhat faithful to the original. The game uses somewhat realistic physics, which of course makes it more difficult than a normal shooter. It is one of the unique things about SpaceWar! and I suspect those that like the game actually enjoy the difficulty. I completely understand that may be a small population, but that's what is wonderful about Indie games right? Games that appeal to a small population still get made! :)

Once I get a chance to play test this with some folks locally, I will try to tweak the gameplay to optimize fun over realism. Your idea about the items is great and I can totally see that increasing the fun factor.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Brent

P#31890 2016-10-27 04:06 ( Edited 2016-10-27 08:06)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 12:41:43 | 0.009s | Q:14