It is true, so much can be done even in it's unfinished state. I was able to get so much out of it. I know that I say it a lot, but I mean it 100%, 110% if you may. It was great but now I have moved to other things.

It is me. I have decided that since I haven't been on voxatron for a while I might as well post the unfinished projects I have. To show others what I have accomplished.

I See
Advanced Bowman
Voxlings

Sorry to say but these games will not be finished.

I have apparently moved on. It was fantastic, the 5 years I stuck with Voxatron. Believe me when I say it's not because of the slow developing that made me quit. I was able to create new ideas all the time using the same basic functions.

This is not a final farewell though, I may eventually get back into it, but that is not for certain, and I still check the blog everyday, playing the amazing pico-8 catridges. Thanks to everyone who bothered to read this short message about me.

Thanks,
Jauq

P#29715 2016-09-30 01:16 ( Edited 2017-01-08 04:52)

You will be missed :(

P#29900 2016-10-03 17:29 ( Edited 2016-10-03 21:29)

Jauq, you are more than welcome to join us in PICO. With your incredible 3D skills I have no doubt you will make excellent future carts and code that we can all learn from.

Please give it some thought.

P#29932 2016-10-03 23:48 ( Edited 2016-10-04 03:48)

@dw817 as much as I would like that I have absolutely no skill in programming. Voxatron requires no programming which is why I use it. Sorry if that is disappointing.

P#30026 2016-10-04 19:26 ( Edited 2016-10-04 23:26)

Oh ... I didn't know that. Well ratz. All I can say is PICO is really REALLY simple to use. Here is an easy program just to bounce a ball.

x=27 y=7 ax=3 ay=2
::again::
cls()
circfill(x,y,7)
flip()
x=x+ax
y=y+ay
if (x<=7 or x>=120) ax=-ax
if (y<=7 or y>=120) ay=-ay
goto again

You are defining values in variables X, Y, and AX, and AY.
If you don't know what variables are, they can store a number and sometimes text, like a person's name. In this case, however, they are just storing numbers.

::again:: is a marker. We can use it as a label to GOTO to make a nice loop.

cls() merely means to clear the screen.

circfill() is a function to draw a filled circle. X, Y, radius, and color.

flip() slows everything down so it is smoothly animated.

x=x+ax and y=y+ay are changing the values for X & Y. As you can see the value for X is set AGAIN to X but with AX added on to it.

if () means just that, IF a condition is true, then act upon it. In this case we are checking to see if the ball goes beyond the edges of the screen, and, if it does, reverse acceleration.

Quite simply, if you have 5. The negative of 5 is -5. The negative of -5 is 5 again.

Last line ! GOTO a label. We already have a label above called AGAIN, so simply loop until you hit the [ESC] key.

Here, try it out to see for yourself. It's a bit like LEGOS really - except with numbers.

Hmm ... Any cart I post in this thread is trying to run it as a Voxatron. That's strange. Possible error in the BBS ?

Cart #30033 | 2016-10-05 | Embed ▽ | No License

Well, if you have PICO, try the source code up there. Just copy, paste, and run. :)

P#30028 2016-10-04 20:02 ( Edited 2016-10-05 00:10)

I am well aware of what variables are. I just don't know where to begin with code. You've shown me how to make a bouncing ball, and I thank you for your time and effort, but that is basically all I still know.

Also, to be honest, I don't think I want to work with Pico-8. It's nice and all, but it's very limiting. I am spending my time instead working with programs like Stencyl and Multi Media Fusion 2.5 (neither of which require raw coding).

Here is a quick image of what coding in Stencyl looks like. Already it kind of looks like what you showed me, but here I am simply clicking and dragging already made pieces together. It is coding, but still much easier.

(This specific piece program controls a character movements, velocity, gravity, and friction. (I'm only showing you a bit of it though, all the rest is down below, or in different pages entirely.))

Thanks again for offering.

• About the Voxatron problem: it might be because this is a Voxatron related post.

If it isn't then idk probably a bug with the BBS.

P#30046 2016-10-05 00:45 ( Edited 2016-10-05 04:45)

I understand your feeling, my projects are in a complete halt too, I really think the comunity has the potential to expand a lot but voxatron is lacking a really key element to get out of this forum.
all the cartridges are limited to this site. you cannot play them if you don't know this really small forum or even bought the game. it needs to expand, and it really removes my motivation to make anything in this really complex engine if I can't really get people to see it as much as I would like.

P#30300 2016-10-08 10:00 ( Edited 2016-10-08 14:00)

Hi Jauq:

• Wow. Now you see ? What you did up there to me is a LOT more difficult than what I did. One main reason I'm seeing this is it looks really mouse intensive.

I was never fond of the mouse. Back when I was a kid I doodled out on graph paper of what I thought would be the ultimate artist tool for a computer.

It had 4-arrow keys, a button in the middle to plot, a button above to file, above middle to do a chosen effect, like fill, and to the right also above, a big red UNDO button.

Mouses (meeses ?) were not even thought up or about in that day and age.

When I finally did get a mouse, I got a Trackball instead. OH did I like that, much more than a hunk of plastic you're scooting around on your desk.

Sometime (when I'm not so frugal) I'll plonk out and get me another trackball mouse.

Until then though, today ? Meeses are seen all over the place and in many many games.

I have to admit for Hidden Object Games like Samantha Swift & The Fountains Of Fate. A keyboard would just not work well.

As you mentioned earlier, though, Jauq, PICO is simple. Yes. Yes it is, but I feel it's also on the way up into becoming so very much more.

I have yet to find such a program that lets you write such simple code and upload it IMMEDIATELY to see the instant results and to have such a strong and friendly community.

That's why I'm here.

That's why I'm hoping you'll stay ...

P#30303 2016-10-08 12:47 ( Edited 2016-10-08 16:49)

As I said: I'll still be here, checking the blog. I just won't be posting anything anymore. Not for a while.

As for the mouse thing. I've always used a mouse ever since I started using computers. So I've grown to know them as a necessary part of computers. But I understand what you are trying to say.
Also I actually use a drawing pad with my artist tools. Not the mouse, not the keyboard. The mouse is too square for nice looking drawings. I prefer to hand draw my drawings. So there's that.

One final thing:

Mouse plural is Mice (sorry if that makes me seem annoying).

P#30321 2016-10-08 16:15 ( Edited 2016-10-08 20:15)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixie_and_Dixie_and_Mr._Jinks

Heh - I was just being silly, remembering Jinks. Like I use the word, "dju" as an abbreviation for "did you."

He would always say, "I hate meeses to pieces." and - I couldn't have shared a more agreeable sentiment in this day and age. :)

I'm working on some audio right now and WOW, PICO is rather mouse-intensive in that respect. Wish ALL aspects could be reached and edited entirely through keyboard.

(A pull-down menu would not be out of order) ...

P#30323 2016-10-08 16:28 ( Edited 2016-10-08 20:29)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-16 17:24:47 | 0.018s | Q:24