Hey everybody!

I downloaded Pico-8 a little while ago because while I've developed some games in the past - they've all been with programs that didn't require any coding on my part (like Twine). But I've really wanted to start working on what I've always wanted to make: a basic exploration-based platformer. I've never really worked with code in my life and I've looked up several tutorials, but I haven't found anything yet on how to make a game like this and I'm really struggling with getting started on this (coding is a lot more intimidating than I thought even though Pico-8 simplifies things by a huge margin).

Basically what I'm asking is - where do I get started to make a basic 2D platformer ala Super Mario? Thank you so much to anyone in advance who has any helpful advice or comments. If I ever get my passion project made I'll be sure to share it with everyone here :-)

P#29409 2016-09-26 00:03 ( Edited 2016-09-26 04:25)

Hi Buddy.

Congrats on your registration and purchase !

Pico comes with a great set of instructions already, but if you want to go hardcore at it, you should read the documentation that teaches LUA.

PICO is very similar to LUA and worth learning the structures and mechanics.

You can find that HERE:

https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html

Welcome aboard !

Many people make action, shooting, and platform games in Pico.

Me ? I see it as a powerful instrument to teach advanced coding methods for some very innovative and original games.

If you see me on the board, you'll find I'm interested in turn-based adventure games, RPGs, board games, card games, and puzzles.

So, hello there. Make yourself at home. :)

P#29412 2016-09-26 00:25 ( Edited 2016-09-26 04:26)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 16:14:38 | 0.005s | Q:10