Cart #12492 | 2015-08-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Update 8/9/2015

Added a lot to this, now that I had some more time.

-The dragon can now burn things with Z. He cannot move while burning, adding a little strategy. This whole little fire system took me over 2 hours to figure out how to do. Shameful really, but it all works beautifully and now I don't need to poke it. (I hope.)

-Burning snacks will leave gold pickups of random values behind. These show up as single pixel drawn pickups.

-Collecting gold will add to your gold amount.

-Flying over the hoard in the center will "deposit" the gold into your hoard. The hoard also updates it's graphical representation based on how much is in it(with cap on the amount of scaling to keep it sane).

-A few new sound effects. Snacks can now scream when burned, and the fire of course has a looping sound while it's hit area is active.

-Eaten enemies sometimes manage to scream before the dragon munches on them. I thought it was funny at 4 AM to make it random. Don't ask.

-Enemy ai is updated a bit in prep for later. Now in addition to random wandering, they also move closer to the hoard. I eventually plan to make them steal gold and attempt to run, adding to their gold amount when defeated, and potentially taking it off screen for good. For now they all just crowd into the middle eventually. The dragon says it's very convenient for eating them.

-Updated the print commands to set the color before printing. This fixes a bug adding the gold had created. Yay for saved drawing color commands.

original first post:

The cart title is a terrible pun, I know. No, I'm not sorry. More puns might, or might not, be on their way.

NOM ALL THE THINGS!

Well, currently only little silly people that walk around randomly and even sometimes straight into your belly. Not very bright really. Tasty though.

Ok, so it might need a bit more work before this can be called a game. And our cute little dragon doesn't even have a flame breath attack or anything yet. Much sadness in the land of dragon.

Anyway, I was a bit bored and tired today, so I booted up pico to learn how to use it properly. A few hours later, I got this.

So far Pico has been rather interesting and fun to use, though my lack of remembering syntax makes programming a nightmare for me. No different then any other programming tool when placed in my hands though, and not really the designers fault. I kind of wish a code reference was included on a hotkey inside the app itself somewhere when the code window was open.

I might update this later into some sort of game. I mostly wanted to share this first before I either over-design and get stuck somewhere, or drop it off the face of the earth into bug infested "I IS A GEOD PROGRMER" land.

I hope you enjoy your 20 seconds of flying around eating everything in the pointless land of PICO ATE.

And no, currently nothing happens if you get a higher score. Except for the satisfaction that you fed the little dragon thousands of little peoples.

P#12174 2015-08-02 00:08 ( Edited 2015-08-09 08:17)

I recommend running PICO-8 in window mode if you want to have a reference handy. I'm sure you can get a game working, clearly you've already got arrays and some form of collision detection.

P#12238 2015-08-03 22:02 ( Edited 2015-08-04 02:02)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 14:13:14 | 0.010s | Q:12