Cart #8350 | 2014-01-19 | Embed ▽ | No License

Shadow, the most agile soldier the world has ever seen. Yet now, he is the world's last hope. Information about a doomsday device has been leaked, and only Shadow can stop it.

Level Rundown;

Level 1: Earth Temple
Enemies:
Soldier: Shoots bullets
Tank: Sprays fire

Level 2: Back Alley Brawl
Enemies:
Pedestrian: Passive
Mouse: Passive
Mobster: Shoots and cuts
Steroids guy: Tries to fist you to death

Level 3: Jensen's House
Enemies:
Mouse: Passive
Demon: Shoots fire

Level 4: Hell
Enemies:
Demon: Shoots fire
Demon Child: Spits tiny fire
Demon Shrine: Shoots rings of fire

Level 5: The Moon
Enemies:
Space Child: Passive
Astronaut: Tries to jump on you
Scientist: Shoots a laser at you
Alien: Shoots a spread of extra terrestrial discs

BOSS:Jensen-Bot 9000: Shoots stuff at you and is really fast with a lot of health

Character Rundown:
General: commands missions and plans for you.
Carlos: undercover agent and best friend.
Jensen: Main Antagonist, bomb developer and user.

Length: About 10 minutes
Difficulty: Pretty hard

I hope you enjoy the map!

P#8351 2014-01-19 10:22 ( Edited 2016-02-09 02:22)

I might give you a review of some kind ( Alot of people know me for being a dick and poiting out bad stuff so ):

-Character is too fast.
-Character jump too high
-some "normal enemys" got too much health ( It's just annoying, not hard )
-In some rooms I asked myself what was going on ( tanks inside a house ? )
-THere's alot of misplaced object.
-On the moon the " cloud " animation is very badly made ( along with some other props ) also there's no cloud on moon
-All the story long I asked myself what was going on.

• Your character jumps from a house to hell and from nowhere to the moon ( makes absolutely no sense )
    -Most of your enemy's ( 80% ? ) has a pattern shooting, not random, no warning.
  • The main story is boring ( save the world ) I see this everywhere...
    -Misplaced enemy's and not a wide variety.
    -We dont get into the gameplay.

Here's a text review:

You difficulty setting shouldn't be " Pretty hard " it should be " Annoyingly easy " Also make sure to work more on props " graphics " and placement this is what makes a game enjoyable, not that it's not enjoyable but as a normal person I woud have quitted the game after the first 3 rooms.

Positive points ( I shall try this ) :

-nothing for now, please someone help me I dont wanna be a dick but that's all I could find

P#8352 2014-01-19 12:22 ( Edited 2014-01-19 17:22)

Blind, it's not that you need to be "nice" when giving a critique, it's that you need to be constructive. There's no point in typing anything if they'll only be discouraged. Offer some ways to fix what's wrong with their level, or find points that have potential. If you're able to call something bad, that means you (should) have an idea of what's good, or at least better.

Despite that, much of what Blind said is true.

I think if you slowed down the pace of the entire game, it would be a lot more fun. The high jump was completely useless in every situation, and it got in the way more than anything. I found myself jumping over bullets only to have to wait to land, and by the time I did land, the enemy had already shot again, requiring me to jump again. I get that it's cool to have a character who is ABLE to jump high and ABLE to run fast, but he would be an idiot if he chose to jump that high and run that fast all the time.

In the case of the story, less is more. I don't personally believe Voxatron levels need a story and can be perfectly enjoyable as arcade shooters, but if you're going to add one, keep it simple. Like the pace of the combat, it was too hectic to be much fun. But it's good that you put in the effort to make one.

The varied environments were a strong point! I think if you spent more time fleshing them out, they could really draw people to your game. But right now they lack detail and meaningful differences.

Enemies were all pretty much the same height/speed. Don't be afraid to create exaggerated guys to make the game more interesting. Some examples: If you want a bulky guy, make him twice as big as a normal guy but much slower, and make his walk animation lumbering and heavy. For jumping enemies, you can give them an 'in the air' modifier and make them do flips or something cool. It's a lot of work, but giving your enemies personality makes a big difference.

Shadow's model is very plain. I mean, realistically a ninja wouldn't want to be noticed, but his methods aren't exactly stealthy, so might as well look cool while destroying everything.

And something VERY annoying: In the third room in Hell (the big square one) you get hit automatically by the middle enemy. Nothing makes a game less fun than unfair enemies. It's small, but put his shot on a delay and give him a warning to avoid that. You want the player to be able to avoid every enemy shot with the right amount of skill.

So to sum it up:
-Slow down the whole game and make the jump default or slightly higher if you really think it'll add to the gameplay.
-more thought-out rooms with more thought-out item placement
-give enemies personality and variety
-keep the story simple!

I think you're improving, but take your time! You'll be happier with the finished product. I guarantee it.

P#8353 2014-01-19 13:12 ( Edited 2014-01-19 18:12)

I agree with you bugglesman, I also need to be constructive :) ahah

P#8357 2014-01-19 16:06 ( Edited 2014-01-19 21:06)

Hey guys I'm sorry about the High jumping and the too much speed, I just tried to make him seem like a ninja. Thanks bugglesman for the criticism!

P#8372 2014-01-19 20:50 ( Edited 2014-01-20 01:50)

Still fantastic, but I sort of agree with the other two. However, the game is a great challenge, and I hope to see more add-ons? Also, I never really saw the Jenson robot.

P#18734 2016-02-08 21:22 ( Edited 2016-02-09 02:22)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 02:11:56 | 0.011s | Q:18