Cart #8140 | 2014-01-07 | Embed ▽ | No License

My first level, be gentle, pls leave comments...
for some reason time trigger did not work correctly with the portal item, does anyone have a suggestion... :)

P#8141 2014-01-07 14:03 ( Edited 2014-01-11 22:38)

you do know that the time will be skipped if there is no monster in the room right?

edit: omg! this level is just so amazing graphically speaking, the pixel art, the voxels, the animations, everything! yet, there are several issues within the game:
the monsters don't have a dying animation, not even the usual particles, you should at least activate it for a better death.
some animations are solid when they shouldn't be (really? solid water?) like when you first exit the castle
it needs more adventure, I finished the game in a few minutes (enjoyed every second thou)
more enemies behavior! they all die in a single hit!(I know you use the fortune sword but you could try to differ something, like doing a puzzle!)
the level resembles me the game "king's quest" quite a lot, is it another game-themed level?
the level design is great, you can see the manual touch on every room even on the ones where you don't stay more than a few seconds, if every level of yours is like that you will surely top easy!

P#8142 2014-01-07 16:46 ( Edited 2014-01-07 22:19)

I agree very much with Kling! Great job on the graphics. I can tell you put lots of care into each room and each model.

But also like Kling said:
-Needs more monster variety, and I would advise at least using the default crumbling death animation. If you need help with bullets and behaviors, see this link.

-With a heavily detailed stage like yours, length is a problem. My stage suffers from the same problem right now, and it can only be fixed by lots and lots of time investment! But it is a beta, after all, so no worries.

-A tip: you should place the 'Player' actor where you want the player to spawn in each room. Place a 'player' right next to doorways so entering rooms is more believable and less jarring. There is a "from room" variable for each 'player' you place, so use that to indicate where the player should spawn when coming from which room.

-a problem is that you can run straight through every room without killing the enemies! If you need help triggering doors, see this video from Zep.

Good job so far and keep forward!

P#8150 2014-01-08 01:35 ( Edited 2014-01-08 06:35)

Agree with all the points above, looks amazing. One thing I noticed was that I was able to walk around at the part where the ship was sailing.

P#8153 2014-01-08 17:03 ( Edited 2014-01-08 22:03)

Very nice graphics. Probably the best I've seen so far !

But the story... the gameplay ... the originality ... well. alot of job could be done on something else than graphics, it's not the beauty that makes a game fun !

Also, all you monsters are the same, no death anim + very similar. like, very.

P#8163 2014-01-09 17:24 ( Edited 2014-01-09 22:27)

Wow, this is lovely. I can see you're mostly blocking out the environments and visual so far, and in that department it's beautiful. I love the backgrounds that feel like painted backgrounds on a stage. There are a few other levels that have done this, but it really works perfectly here (especially as old Sierra games used exactly the same kind of deal, but with an orthogonal view).

Ditto on what others have mentioned (using atomize, fixing doors, creating variety etc.) but I recommend holding out for 0.2.10 if you have more visual stuff to do! The relevant features coming later this month*

• There's a new door system which is much easier to use and allows different sized doors, (sorry to make you learn the old door system and then throw it away).
  • An option to not skip time when there's no monsters in the room
  • The option to remove the inventory, and to extend the room height all the way to the top
  • Any objects or monsters can be set to be collected / killed only once

Anyway, it looks great so far and I'm looking forward to seeing updates.

*zep-time

P#8252 2014-01-11 17:38 ( Edited 2014-01-11 23:39)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 20:03:56 | 0.011s | Q:20