This was the "Bug Fixing Update" listed on the Development Status page. The page is now updated with a few small changes of plan -- moving exporters forward to 0.1.9 and some new features planned for 0.2.0.

To Update: use your Humble Store / Humble Voxatron Debut links. Search your email for "Your Humble Bundle order" or "Thanks for purchasing Voxatron". Alternatively you can request a new link here. Lexaloffle accounts still aren't integrated -- I'll post about that separately when it's ready.

Main changes:

Search

You can now search the bbs level list by author, title, or id. Select VIEW: SEARCH and type something in (e.g. the id number a level you want to play). If you want to search for a specific title or author, you can use "title:something" or "author:something".

Joystick Detection

When you select RESET TO DEFAULTS in the joystick config menu, Voxatron now searches through a database of defaults schemes submitted by users via the Joystick Data thread.

Mac PPC Support

There was 1 show-stopping bug (loading png files) and 2 annoying bugs (glitchy audio, bad preview colours). I'll update other games with the PPC fixes too shortly. Thanks a bunch to Johnathan, Anthony, Joshua for remotely testing ppc code. Unfortunately I gave my PPC laptop away several years ago because I was so confident my endian code would hold up.

Linux-Specific

The only dependency now is SDL, and my fall-back version of the SDL shared object is no longer included (turns out doing things the Wrong Way was the wrong way). opengl is dynamically loaded if you have opengl_blit set to 1 in ~/.lexaloffle/Voxatron/config.txt. There are also a few new options in config.txt that should help multiple monitor setups: frameless, window_position allow you to simulate full-screen behaviour without blocking other monitors.

Internal changes

There's a lot of new and rewritten play code in this version that doesn't do anything yet. I've done my best to keep everything backwards compatible with existing levels. If you notice anything weird happening (especially with older BBS levels), please let me know in the comments (or joseph at lexaloffle dot com)

Splot Mode

This update had a lousy work:fun ratio so I also threw in an experimental splot drawing mode. Instead of drawing the voxels as cubes, each one is drawn as a flat lit circle. You can enable it in VIDEO OPTIONS->STYLE. The sizes of the circles are not resolution independent, so using a lower resolution gives you larger, messier splots.

v0.1.7 Changelog

Added: BBS LEVELS titles scroll if too long to fit
Added: BSS LEVELS search feature
Added: Splot drawing mode (experimental)
Added: (Linux) Dynamic opengl loading to remove opengl as a dependency
Added: Config.txt documentation & new parameters: frameless, window_position
Added: Extra alternative control for each action
Added: Diagonal keypad shooting included in defaults
Added: User-submitted joystick database for sensible default values
Added: Joystick menu control (start button behaves like ESCAPE)
Added: 1024x640 video resolution option, removed quarter-size
Added: Adjusted default tileset. Removed ugly tree
Fixed: Adjusted joystick sensitivity
Fixed: Voxde undo stack corruption after resizing
Fixed: Butamon stuck attacking side of level
Fixed: Player stuck at start of level with zero health
Fixed: Armadillo re-attacking instantly
Fixed: Internal vvmps now show a read-only warning
Fixed: Looping buttons in voxel editor now apply also to selection
Fixed: Character drifting bug
Fixed: (PPC OSX) crash on loading levels
Fixed: (PPC OSX) png preview colours
Fixed: (PPC OSX) distorted music
Fixed: Oversized latin font characters
Fixed: Button index reporting for multiple joysticks

P#5821 2012-01-31 16:59 ( Edited 2012-01-31 21:59)

Nice OMG finally :) I like you atlest this game wont become like Cortex Command :O

P#5822 2012-01-31 17:43 ( Edited 2012-01-31 22:43)

And you call this simply "a bug fix update"? You took your time, but that's more than I expected!

P#5823 2012-01-31 17:51 ( Edited 2012-01-31 22:51)

I kind of like the splot mode it makes everything look more artsy :D
You could maybe make it a room property like _splot or _spot

P#5826 2012-01-31 20:01 ( Edited 2012-02-01 01:01)

Just something I found right away, when you switch your control scheme and cycle trough, keyboard, keyboard + mouse, and joystick, at the joystick the game automatically enters state to test joystick keys and make new customization, but since i don't have a joystick I cannot press 4 keys and nether esc button to exit and the game gets stuck

P#5827 2012-02-01 04:44 ( Edited 2012-02-01 09:44)

ouch -- it looks like restarting the game won't stop that either.

I'll post a fixed version later today, but for now if you need to break out of the loop, delete your config.txt in /Program Files/Voxatron (yourhome/Library/Application Support/Voxatron for OSX, ~/.lexaloffle/Voxatron for Linux). This will reset control to keyboard.

Maybe too late now, but to get out of the loop while in the game, you can still quit by pressing alt-f4 or alt-enter for windowed mode so that you can press the close button.

@chaosking2 -- that's cute. I'm also working on a red-blue 3d glasses mode. It might be nice to have a secret pickup that looks like retro 3d glasses, that temporarily changes the display option when you collect them.

P#5828 2012-02-01 05:47 ( Edited 2012-02-01 10:56)

I didn't even notice the splot mode!
splot mode + low res = Game of the Century

Edit: activating both the splot mode and the antialiasing (I know, it doesn't make all that sense) gives
"strange results":

P#5830 2012-02-01 08:32 ( Edited 2012-02-01 13:47)

Whoo hoo!! Downloaded and gonna blast some voxels right now!! :D

Edit: was about to post the same thing as above, thought I borked something when I turned on AA in splot mode!

P#5831 2012-02-01 08:39 ( Edited 2012-02-01 14:12)

Ok, so that's not just me :)

P#5832 2012-02-01 12:09 ( Edited 2012-02-01 17:09)

yeah :D

THX

i'm very happy

i waiting the 0.1.8 ;)

P#5833 2012-02-01 17:19 ( Edited 2012-02-01 22:19)

Alright, here's 0.1.8

It should fix the joystick-less machine issue, and a couple of other minor things.

I also added the _splot hack in this version, but of course it will only work if the player has also updated. You can mix it with the dojo command (e.g. "_dojo _splot" will work for both).

Heh, I forgot to mention that you can enable bork mode by turning on both splot and 2x2 aa.

P#5835 2012-02-01 17:50 ( Edited 2012-02-01 22:50)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 12:06:32 | 0.024s | Q:28