Update 1.5! - Music, Mines and Mayhem!

I've been working hard lately on some of my current projects and finally got around to updating Space Delivery! This time round I've added in enemy mines that you need to dodge whilst collecting and delivering packages around the map. On top of this, the player can now get a GAME OVER screen when they die and strive to beat that high-score! I've also worked on ironing out lots of bugs and improving the overall graphical fidelity of the game.

As always, community feedback is much appreciated and has a big impact on the final result. Any suggestions, constructive criticism (or just criticism) about the game are more than welcome!

Changelog:
-Added bad music
-Added a deadly space mine enemy
-Added a game over screen
-Added high-score functionality
-Added a black border around text for better readability
-Added a particle system for creating explosions + smoke
-Added SCREENSHAKE
-Added sprite frame animation support
-Added more asteroid islands
-Optimised some functions
-Players now gain 2 health whenever they deliver a package
-Changed the package sprite to a more traditional box
[0x0]

Controls:
Arrow Keys - Move
Z - Land / Take-off

Follow the arrow to collect and deliver packages. Land on the delivery zone to deliver a package.

Cart #37495 | 2017-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Update 1.4.1! - Sound!

Just a small update to re-implement sounds into the game. It's interesting how much of a difference it makes with and without sound!

Update 1.4! - Overhaul!

So after another long break from the game whilst developing 'Shuriken Toss', I decided to revisit it and... completely remake it! That's right, completely re-write the game and strip it down to the bare bones and focus this time on the core gameplay mechanics and functions of the game. I felt that I kept wasting too much time before getting bogged down with trying to optimise the game (although it was never optimised!) and adding silly extras such as text systems and palette swapping when there was no core game there yet. This is a good thing, however, as I have learnt a lot from working on this and other projects that has helped to better this game.

Objective:
Your goal is to follow the direction of the objective arrow and collect the delivery orb. You then take it back to the drop off point marked by a:
[0x0]
and land your ship on it by pressing 'Z' ('A' on a controller) in order to score a point. There is currently no win or lose conditions so you can keep scoring to your hearts content!

Future Ideas:
Next I think I will try and add some kind of threat to delivering the orbs like space mines or enemies that keeps the player on their toes. I may also add shooting, however I'm very tempted to keep the protagonist a pacifist as they are only a delivery courier, not a space marine ¯_(ツ)_/¯. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ;) .

At the moment I'm very torn with whether to add the fuel system to the game or not as i feel as though it can be more of an inconvenience than a 'main feature'. I would love your feedback and ideas on this and any other aspects of the game, thank you!

Changelog:
-Changed the world size from 3x3 rooms big to 4x4
-Changed maximum fuel capacity
-Changed fuel bar size and position
-Added 'Delivery Orbs' that can be delivered for points
[0x0]

-Added a score to the UI
-Added an objective pointer that points towards the 'Delivery Orb'
-Added a life bar for the player that decreases by one when you run out of fuel
-Added a classic building from the old versions of the game back in because I liked the design
-Removed sounds from the game (temporary)

I hope you enjoy this early version of the game!

Cart #37114 | 2017-02-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Update 1.3! - Fuel, Explosions And Even More Space!

Sorry for not updating for so long (I've been rather busy) but here is my Space game at the moment. It's still pretty bare-bones with no goal however I've been working hard on implementing some new features and had to completely re-write how the world map is stored and used by the game... See the change-log below for a full list of changes. I'll probably add some kind of respawn next after you explode and see if I can get a simple delivery system working. Any suggestions in the comments are welcome as usual!

Future Update Ideas:
My idea for this game is that you'll have to collect and deliver packages from around the map to certain places whilst dodging enemies and making sure you don't run out of fuel on the way! The fuel gauge can represent the players fuel AND also the players health so that your fuel decreases when you get attacked AND when you fly around.

Known Bugs:
-Explosion particles stay on the screen when you change room
-Player sometimes doesn't spin out of control when they run out of fuel

Changelog:
-Changed ship speed and acceleration/deceleration
-Changed the map to now support 3x3 rooms!
-Changed all of the contents of the rooms
-Changed landing/taking off speeds to be faster
-Changed all of the sounds in the game
-Changed the name of the game to 'Space Delivery'
-Changed screen border thickness
-Fixed when the player moves into the next room
-Fixed graphical glitch when changing rooms
-Fixed players minimum landing height
-Added a simple menu system for palette swapping
-Added a title screen for the menu
-Added a fuel system for the ship
-Added particle generator for explosions
-Removed the text system (for now anyway, it was creating clutter)
-Moved the palette swapper into the menu
Update 1.3.1
-Fixed a sound bug

Cart #30768 | 2016-10-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Minor update 1.2.1 - Let There Be...Color!

Changelog:
-Added the ability to change the palette by pressing 'x'
-Fixed the player and player shadow drawing on top of the screen border
-Minor tweaks and changes to the floaty player text
-Added a sneaky easter egg ;) (no really, it's an egg)

Cart #27174 | 2016-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Update 1.2! - Lift Off!

Added a few cool new features (even if they are a bit useless at the moment) which you can check out in the change-log below.

Changelog:
-Added the ability to take off/land
-Added text for takeing off/landing that lerps to the player
-Added some sounds for taking off/landing/flying
-Made the two colors dependant on a variable for future palette swapping
-Made the shadow further from ship to give a better sense of height
-Shadow now decreases if you fly over stations (buildings)
-Can't land on top of stations
-Can't land if you are moving too fast
-Re-implemented white border around the edge of the screen
-Added more buildings

Cart #27141 | 2016-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Update 1.1! - More Space!

Updated my space game (still has no title) to version 1.1.
Any suggestions of things to add next are more than welcome.

Changelog:
-Added multiple 'rooms' to explore and fly around
-Made the camera static instead of follow the player
-Added some new tiles for building space stations and small asteroids
-Now loops the player around a larger world instead of one screen
-Fixed player outline and shadow drawing

Cart #27108 | 2016-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Update 1.0! - Original Prototype!

Greetings Pico-8'ers! I'm quite new to game development and have decided to start making a little 1-bit (may add colours) space exploration type game. It's currently a work in progress and I intend to add things to discover on the map such as asteroids and crashed spaceships that you could somehow interact with. I'd like to implement text boxes at some point so I may require your help!

Cart #27092 | 2016-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#27094 2016-08-19 19:11 ( Edited 2017-09-28 04:03)

Looks great, I like that it has a really smooth movement.

P#27095 2016-08-19 19:53 ( Edited 2016-08-19 23:53)

That's cool. So is the plan to have the different regions be in each block...that's a very neat idea. I dig it.

And +1 for the 1-bit treatment...it's on my list to make a 2-color game too, just gotta find the right type of game.

P#27099 2016-08-19 23:27 ( Edited 2016-08-20 03:27)

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm planning on building the 'level' myself but it would be really cool to have procedural generation of asteroids etc.

P#27107 2016-08-20 03:04 ( Edited 2016-08-20 07:04)

Looking good!

P#27110 2016-08-20 07:13 ( Edited 2016-08-20 11:13)

Controls like Asteroids, but the "rooms" make it feel like it's going in a zelda-esque direction. Excited to see where you take this :)

P#27121 2016-08-20 17:21 ( Edited 2016-08-20 21:21)

I LOVE. How the movement in this game feels.

This is EXACTLY what good vehicular controls should feel like.

Reminds me of a couple of other good games in this vein I've played with, "Super Space Rogues" and "Pink Noise." I'm looking forward to seeing what all you can do with this as a basis. Save this as a template for plenty of projects!

P#27123 2016-08-20 18:22 ( Edited 2016-08-20 22:22)

Was playing this again last night on my PocketCHIP and just love the mechanics and movement. Just fun to fly around, landing and launching...

Given how the "rooms" change, I think you could approach this like a deck game. You have a deck of "room" cards and they get shuffled and dealt for each new play. The goal could be handled similarly...combination of several options so it's familiar play each time but slightly different.

P#27229 2016-08-22 23:32 ( Edited 2016-08-23 03:32)

@morningtoast YES! That's a pretty interesting idea, and not too impossible to implement either, I'll look into it! I'm still unsure on what the goals of the game will actually be but it may just be flying around delivering cargo or something...?

P#27361 2016-08-25 18:20 ( Edited 2016-08-25 22:20)

I think the delivery concept is a good one. Like you find a person looking for something (maybe a ham sandwich), then you have to go find it - or someone who has it, and then see what they want...and so on...you gotta keep traveling around to collect what people need. And you'll need to get fuel too because flying around ain't cheap!

The ultimate goal is to find one key thing that you need to leave the planet and go on to the next one. Maybe the first planet is a 3x3 map, then 4x4 and so on until the last one which is big. There is one special tile that is where you need to go to leave once you get the special item.

And when the map is built, every tile gets a friend/enemy flag. You have to land to find out but sometimes it could be an enemy that you have to battle. Simple battle, nothing too fancy but still risky enough. Victory would give you stat boosts or maybe a special item.

The great part is for your game is that just flying around and landing is fun and cool, so even just a simple "find the item" puzzle sitting on top would be plenty.

P#27368 2016-08-25 20:47 ( Edited 2016-08-26 00:47)

@morningtoast Wow...I think you should be the one developing this game, you seem to have it all planned out haha XD All of those ideas are really interesting and I'd love to add them to my game however I think I need to change the way I'm currently exploring the map.

As of 1.2 I have a pre-drawn map of 32x32 that the player flies around. Instead I think I'd have to use the map to create the different preset 'rooms' and just have the player move around the default 128x128 area and draw different parts of the map when you reach the edge of the screen?

As always, thanks a bunch for the great feedback!

P#27381 2016-08-26 03:40 ( Edited 2016-08-26 07:40)

Hi PC. Played this for a bit. How do I get a score ?

P#30789 2016-10-12 18:58 ( Edited 2016-10-12 22:58)

I like what I'm seeing. Nice menu and the travel is still fun even when I have to stop for fuel. Keep it up!

P#30797 2016-10-12 20:40 ( Edited 2016-10-13 00:40)

Umm... a score?

P#30840 2016-10-13 12:57 ( Edited 2016-10-13 16:57)

Thanks Toast! ;)

P#30841 2016-10-13 12:57 ( Edited 2016-10-13 16:57)

Just. So. Smooth. Glad to see this back in "production"

P#36890 2017-01-29 22:57 ( Edited 2017-01-30 03:57)

Me too, I've been quite busy lately with Mock exams and such but hopefully I'll be able to make more stuff now. Thanks again Toast :D

P#36903 2017-01-30 11:13 ( Edited 2017-01-30 16:13)

So I been playing this just for fun and have a few more thoughts that I'm just gonna toss out there. Some of them may already be on your list, dunno...

Reverse the delivery. Instead of going out and bringing back the orb. You have to deliver the orb(s)...your base gives you an order of X number of orbs. You have to go deliver them. When you deliver, you get some fuel. The quicker you deliver, the more reward you get. Once you make all deliveries, return to base and get more - or maybe the base "alerts" you to come back, etc. 

Offer color palettes as unlocks. Once you make X total deliveries, you can unlock a color and choose your theme. I remember you showed this game early on with green/white palette and I loved it. It inspired me to make Bullet Cave and do color unlocks too.

P#37164 2017-02-04 23:15 ( Edited 2017-02-06 01:01)

I don't know why I didn't think of picking up the deliveries from the big base and taking the parcels to the smaller bases around it... oops haha. I'll probably change that in the next update.

I think that the palette unlocking idea could be pretty cool but I'm not sure how much it would add to the game play. I do, however, intend on adding something like that in the future even if it's just a menu option. If I was going to add palette unlocks I think that it would be a neat idea to allow the player to buy them from a store with currency they earn from delivering packages.

I'm currently working on adding some simple enemies to the game that just float around (space mines?) to give the player a feeling of risk when they're delivering the packages and try and give the game more... purpose, I guess.

P#37173 2017-02-05 11:04 ( Edited 2017-02-05 16:04)

Ooo yeah...the in-game marketplace sounds awesome. All sorts of things you could do if there's a merchant feature.

P#37195 2017-02-05 20:01 ( Edited 2017-02-06 01:01)

NICE! Great idea with the mines slowing you from just cruising around screen to screen. The change of the drop giving your fuel vs health is a nice touch too.

Onward and upward!

P#37499 2017-02-15 20:22 ( Edited 2017-02-16 01:22)

Thanks! I'm still not sure about that music though 0~0

P#37507 2017-02-16 04:05 ( Edited 2017-02-16 09:05)

PixelCod, I really enjoy this game. The mechanics are great and the design work is solid. I am currently working on a sandbox game about a honey bee and am in need of a programmer. I would compensate you for your time. Please let me know if you are interested.

P#44709 2017-09-28 00:03 ( Edited 2017-09-28 04:03)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 14:36:27 | 0.023s | Q:57