Cart #21833 | 2016-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I was kinda nnoyed that I didnt get everything finished in time for the jam so I added a few improvements - off competition - just while I am still in the swing of it.

Changes:

• second mighty enemy type "saw robot"
  • improved background parallax scrolling
  • graphic overhaul, cleaned up the pixly mess a bit

Still missing the actual story point and a bit of an extended level.

How to play

Left/Right - walking
Up - Jumping
X - run/hang/slide down
Y - shoot (if you have collected energy balls)

How to jump really high?
You walk left/right with the cursors.
Up lets you jump (up right/left)

if you press X while walking you will run!
If you jump against a wall running and hold X, you will cling to the wall (slowly sliding down).
From that you can jump again to flip flop up a higher ridge.

P#21834 2016-05-30 18:38 ( Edited 2016-06-05 09:39)

This is a very ambitious game, but it falls short in a few places. The momentum mechanics, while there, arent always present. This leads to difficult platforming, and if you didnt happen to be holding on to the wall to slide down you will take damage and reset. . . Fall damage in a platformer is not good game design. Look back at Bubsy the Bobcat!
The wall running/sliding/jumping also feels stilted with the walls being sticky. This combined with stiff controls in the air makes the fall damage seem like an oversight to me. Meanwhile it should be said that the improved graphics and parallax is a big improvement over the Jam version, for sure.

regards

what you think of my opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrr_VVtyUA8

P#22328 2016-06-05 03:45 ( Edited 2016-06-05 07:45)

Thank you for the feedback!
You are right about the fall damage, it sorta annoys me as well.
I might take that out at some point and compensate with more deadly level elements.

Could you elaborate on the momentum mechanics?

There is a bit of momentum when running and stopping.
Also when you do that next to a ridge, you would stop and swivel instead of falling off.

It's true, the walls are always sticky, but you will slowly slide down hanging on to them. That might need some balancing. Was running out of time and wanted to get the idea across.

One thing I am unsure about - and got a bit of feedback on - is my choice of controls.
I am from a Amiga/PC background, so jumping was usually up (keyboard or joystiick). Where as a lot of people that tested the game are console offspring and want the jump control on a different key. Maybe I'll try to remap that somehow.

P#22333 2016-06-05 05:39 ( Edited 2016-06-05 09:39)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 09:13:09 | 0.010s | Q:18