I've been meaning to ask around about interest in this for a while, but as far as I can tell, generated Pico-8 HTML/JS is free to be used as I please.

As someone who uses Cordova and Electron a lot in my job, my first thought was to wrap a project in Electron for a Pico-8-free 'native' app, perhaps with arcade style frames, additional controls, etc. This also extends to Cordova for iOS/Android (with a bit of faffing around to replicate keypresses).

My thought is that it opens up Pico-8 hobbyists to create games they can distribute (and sell? I don't know what the ramifications of this are) and expand the freedom that people have. There's also scope for additional experimentation, using smartphone sensors for controls, etc.

I suppose I wanted to bring up 2 discussion points:

1. Are there any limitations on what can and cannot be done with either the generated code or the .p8 file data itself?

and

2. Are people interested in wrapping their Pico-8 games in a way that they can play Pico-8 games both outside of Pico-8 and outside of their web browser?

Apologies if this is something someone has already brought up, I'd seen earlier similar discussions, but may have missed anything that fully clears it up in my mind.

P#18728 2016-02-08 08:16 ( Edited 2016-02-14 18:48)

I believe there is an intent to expand to mobile someday; No idea if that is pie-in-the-sky, or coming down the pipe next week.

I for one welcome the arrival of our new mobile masters.

or, well - I would love to be able to play my PICO-8 games on my ipad or iphone. Playing them online via safari fails due to lack of controls, and I weep.

P#18818 2016-02-13 15:56 ( Edited 2016-02-13 20:56)

There are no limitations on what the author of a cartridge can do with the exported html5 version, including wrapping it and selling it. I'm still looking into the plausibility of binary exporters for OSX/Windows/Linux, but it looks likely it will be added around 1.0 or soon after. Authors would be able to offer binary versions and/or extra content for customers of their cartridges, if they wish.

Note that strictly speaking, permission is needed from the author of any cartridge to do anything with it (same as any other work), either directly from the author, or because they have released the cartridge under some license (e.g. CC4 or zlib).

iOS and android versions are planned, but will be post-1.0. Safari controls for playing on web are coming much sooner! (around early March).

P#18835 2016-02-14 13:48 ( Edited 2016-02-14 18:49)

Any updates about this? I hope so!

P#125329 2023-02-04 22:01

exports for windows, macosx, linux and raspbian have existed for some years. export to android and ios is still planned for the 1.0 release in the near/medium future.

P#125341 2023-02-05 03:46

We're currently working on Android wrapping with our game engine (Argon) and looking for guinea pigs/test subjects.

It leverages fake08, and generally does well with the current exception of heavily "minified" code.

The resulting app can be an APK or AAB (what Google Play started requiring last year). We've been doing this engine since last October for other platforms (ie, Atari, NES).

P#128510 2023-04-13 17:50

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 13:29:50 | 0.007s | Q:19